Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Problems with Remote Desktop use

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

goohoobler1

Problems with Remote Desktop use

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 1:13 am

Since the pandemic hit I have been trying to use Fusion Studio remotely using Google Chrome Remote Desktop.
Mostly it is ok, but I have noticed that after awhile (leaving Fusion operating, then changing browser tabs away from the remote desktop then going back again) various buttons, keys and menu items stop responding and the console starts to fill up with
"[string "???"]:1: attempt to index global 'target' (a nil value)"
For example the frame forward shortcut "]" will stop responding consistently.
Trying to cycle through the colour channels using the R G B keys will fail.
Trying to scroll on the timeline will fail.
Even Menu commands like "File/Save" can be activated but will fail to actually do anything ( and the dreaded "[string "???"]:1: attempt to index global 'target' (a nil value)" appears in the console.
Is this a known problem? Anyone else have similar experiences?
Is there an easy solution or is it a very specific bug?
When I reported it as an official bug I was told: "We do not support or test our software using remote methods such as this, so we wouldn't be able to troubleshoot it."
It doesn't seem to affect other programs I am using remotely including Davinci Resolve.
I realize that Google Chrome Remote Desktop may not be the best solution, but it is free and every other DCC software I use on it seems unaffected.

Using version 18.0.1 Fusion Studio but has been an issue with older v17 builds too.

Windows 11 (Intel 6core/64GB/Nvidia1070) on local machine/ Windows 10 (AMD32core/128GB/Nvidia3900) on remote machine. Latest drivers on both machines.
Windows 11 Pro (22H2)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
64.0 GB RAM
Nvidia 1070 (8GB VRAM)
AMD Ryzen 3970X @ 3.69 GHz
128 GB RAM
Nvidia 3090 (24GB VRAM)
Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio 18.6

Jacob Danell

Re: Problems with Remote Desktop use

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 am

Maybe not a real solution for you but you could try RustDesk. Open source, free. It's what I'm currently running.

Windows 10, Fusion 18.x
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
128 GB ram

roger.magnusson

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 6:45 pm

If the remote machine has Windows 10 Pro you already have a great remote desktop solution for free. Microsoft Remote Desktop.

Nvidia released software for OpenGL remote desktop in the beginning of the pandemic, to allow GPU apps through remote desktop which normally doesn't work. https://www.khronos.org/news/permalink/nvidia-provides-opengl-accelerated-remote-desktop-for-geforce-5e88fc2035e342.98417181

tpolson

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 4:41 am

Anydesk works pretty well. Free for personal use.
Tom Polson
www.3dpaint.com

Theodor Groeneboom

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 4:47 pm

Jacob Danell wrote:Maybe not a real solution for you but you could try RustDesk. Open source, free. It's what I'm currently running.

How does it compare to things like NoMachine and Teradici ?

Sander de Regt

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 11:26 am

Teradici isn't free as far as I can tell, so there's one difference right there.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

goohoobler1

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 11:52 pm

Thank you for your alternate remote solutions, however I was looking to see if anyone else had encountered the above mentioned issues (or any others) when working remotely with Fusion Studio since the problems were not occurring with any other DCC programs (including Davinci).
Are people using Fusion extensively across remote sessions?
How about as part of a cloud based virtual machines?

Jacob - Rustdesk was a good find, thank you, however the publicly served version is much slower/laggier than the google chrome remote desktop. Are you using it with a private server? How about with multiple machines logging on to the same internet connection through a single firewall?

The one current issue that free solutions do not currently address, as far as I can see, is Wacom use. Only the expensive Teradici(or whatever HP is renaming it to) and the buggy (in my experience) non free version of Parsec seem to have pressure sensitive support.

Bryan Ray

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 am

In fact, it's quite expensive, has weird licensing issues, and is difficult to manage. Plus its performance leaves quite a lot to be desired. Muse switched to Parsec shortly before I left, and it was far better than Teradici in virtually every respect.

https://parsec.app/

The free version is one screen only, but for less than $10 / month, you can use the Individual product to run up to three monitors. I used it on two, one of which was at 4k with 4:4:4 color at 60 fps, and it worked amazingly well. Obviously you need the Internet bandwidth at both ends to handle that.

The biggest downside I noticed is that there's a limited clipboard buffer between the two systems. You can copy-paste small numbers of tools across the link, but if you try to send a Tracker or something with a lot of data in it, it'll be truncated.
Last edited by Bryan Ray on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Bryan Ray

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:22 am

Hmm... scratch 'quite expensive.' Looks like the cost for Teradici has come way down since I first looked at it. It's quite competitive now. But it's still not a great user experience.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

bentheanimator

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 5:58 pm

We use Microsoft Remote Desktop and have had stable use of Fusion. Here's a link to an add-on from Nvidia for enabling OpenGL through RDP. It sped up our interface for 3DS Max quite a lot and I think Fusion as well but it didn't really feel slow before. I use a MBP2018 with and Intuos 3L at home to RDP into a Windows 10 Pro box. The Wacom drivers are super old and crusty but still work. Running Fusion Studio 18.01b5. I have Windows Ink turned off for Fusion.

https://www.khronos.org/news/permalink/nvidia-provides-opengl-accelerated-remote-desktop-for-geforce-5e88fc2035e342.98417181
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Travis Schmiesing

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 6:35 pm

Do you have an IT department? If so, I would have them set you up with a proper Remote Desktop solution. By proper I mean a company whose core competency is Remote Desktop, or using the native Remote Desktop app itself.

Judith

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 6:44 am

Hi! I see that you have already received many answers and advice, and I would like to add my own. I've been using Google Chrome Remote Desktop for a while, but it's not very convenient to transfer files.
I also used Team Viewer, but the free version has certain limits, when exceeded, the server considered my use as commercial and the connection was simply interrupted.
Now I use Microsoft remote desktop, it's free and convenient to transfer files find more details here https://www.helpwire.app/blog/remote-de ... fer-files/

Return to Fusion