Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion elements resize unexpectedly

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

maddix

Fusion elements resize unexpectedly

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 12:34 am

I'm guessing my case might not be a common one, but it is not as rare for it to be a fringe case I believe.

So I made a fusion composition for a motion graphics animation of elements, this in a custom resolution of a portrait video (1080x1920 for instagram stories) all is good, however, I tried to make a square version of it (1080x1080) and all of the contents of the fusion composition change to a standard 16:9 aspect ratio and undoing only affected actions, this could only be undone via reverting to last saved version.

I've tried resizing three ways and only one works but not without its problems:
  • 1 Duplicating the vertical timeline and changing its settings to square size
    This creates the problem described above directly onto itself
  • 2 Creating a new timeline with the square size and copying the contents of the edit tab
    This changes the original fusion composition on the vertical to a square, even before copying the contents
  • 3 The one that "Worked"
    Duplicating the timeline, deleting the fusion composition, resizing from settings, then creating a new fusion composition and dragging that into the timeline, going back to the original vertical timeline, activating fusion and select all nodes, ⌘+C copy, going back to edit, changing to square timeline, activating fusion panel again, ⌘+V pasting the nodes and connecting to media out.

From what I can deduce, creating a new timeline makes the fusion compositions in an existing timeline inherit the new size for some reason.
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

If it matters, I'm doing this to make a broadcast kit (title and bumper screens) for different social media sizes. While I'm aware Fusion is not a motion graphics software, I've been happily impressed with the powerful tools included, so I ditched the subscription hell to go full time Blackmagic

atmosfar

Re: Fusion elements resize unexpectedly

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 7:11 pm

I'm dealing with the same problem, in a similar use case. Have been living with this issue for at least a couple of versions of 17b now, I'm not sure if it was there in 16 as well but quite probably.

Sometimes restarting DR fixes it, I think. Sometimes not.

One thing I discovered today that seems to fix it is if I make a cut in the Fusion comp. The left split will be the wrong size but the right split will be the correct (ie same as the timeline) resolution. It's frustrating when you're having to cut off lead-in transitions to accomplish this, but it is the best I've found so far...

atmosfar

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 2:59 pm

You can also reset the resized composition dimensions from the console (Workspace > Console) , eg :

Code: Select all
comp:SetPrefs("Comp.FrameFormat.Width",1080);
comp:SetPrefs("Comp.FrameFormat.Height",1080);

atmosfar

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 2:43 pm

Still present in DR 17.0. Really makes having timelines of different resolutions a huge pain, as switching from one timeline to another can affect a third timeline's fusion components without you realizing..

brunocbreis

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 11:54 pm

THERE IS A SOLUTION!!!

This has given me soooo many headaches, I stg.

But anyway, this is caused by a little hidden box called “auto resolution” that’s inside of every Generator node (that is, any node that generate image data). They are all of the green nodes in your flow. You need to go into all of them and UNCHECK auto resolution in the settings tab.

So let’s say you created your comp on a 1080p timeline. That’s what you should set all of your Generator nodes’ resolutions to (1920x1080). Then, when you copy the comp to a different resolution timeline, it won’t distort; it’ll only be cropped. You can solve this by resizing in the edit page or just going back into fusion and merging everything over a new background, which will have the same resolution of your timeline because of Auto Resolution! Hope that helps.
Mac Studio (2022)
M1 Max 64GB
DVR / Fusion Studio 18.6

dropknox

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 7:28 pm

Hey Y'all,

Am I experiencing the same issue? New convert to Resolve from AE.

I posted the phenomenon here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=167823

We adapt our content for multiple resolutions frequently ie 16x9, 9x16, 1:1, 4:5. When doing this in Resolve, many stock and 3rd party fusion comps "break" as described above by all of you. Screenshot below. This makes adapting for other aspect ratios SUPER TEDIOUS. I tried following some of the advice above but I haven't quite figured out the workaround. Having to dig in to each fusion comp manually to "fix" the warped (not cropped) elements for each aspect ratio change is challenging for a non-expert fusion user.

I've tried "3 The one that worked" for the title comp in the screenshot:
Goal: get this 1920x1080 title comp to not get borked at 1080x1920
1) create new timeline 1920x1080
2) place title comp, copy comp nodes except for mediaout, delete comp
3) change resolution of project to 1080x1920
4) create new fusion comp
5) paste node, add mediaout

Same prob iz warped :/

I also tried adding a green node "background" in between ie node-background-mediout (with auto resolution unchecked) with same result.

Blackmagic support suggested I make a feature suggestion for this but y'all seem to have a better grasp of what's going on.

Any tips much appreciated!

.: pl
Attachments
titles-distorting.jpg
titles-distorting.jpg (73.69 KiB) Viewed 2531 times

Return to Fusion