Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Beginner Question on Masking in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

zZaman

Beginner Question on Masking in Fusion

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Hey all! Just getting into learning more about the fusion section for using nodes to put effects on my clips, and I can't wrap my head around why I can't mask this thing properly.

When I add an ellipse node onto this merge here, it doesn't appear to crop out or even mask anything. Please see the first picture attached.

issue 1.png
issue 1.png (691.57 KiB) Viewed 1175 times

As you can see, in the preview for the ellipse mask, it is black and white for some reason.

However, when I attach the ellipse node straight to the initial media file, it appears to be working fine?

issue 2.png
issue 2.png (497.78 KiB) Viewed 1175 times

Is there something that I am missing here? I was watching this youtube video and followed the steps to the tee but for some reason despite doing the same stuff and it always ends up black and white instead. What am I doing wrong here? Ive been trying to hack this for hours any help or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

GalinMcMahon

Re: Beginner Question on Masking in Fusion

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:31 pm

This is quite confusing indeed!

I often find when I encounter these things is that talking it out in sentences (full, part, run on, it's up to you) often solves the problem. Ask yourself: what am I trying to mask? In your example you are trying to mask a merge which of course won't do anything. All a merge does is plop something on top of something else. EDIT: You CAN actually mask out a merge when it's doing something. So if you had a 2nd mediaIn going in to that merge, your method would work. But really this is still merging mediaIn2.

I believe you're trying to mask Media 1. Try connecting your polygon directly to the blue input on Media 1.
Last edited by GalinMcMahon on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

GalinMcMahon

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:35 pm

Oh and for the black and white on your 2nd image: That is in fact accurate. The polygon (ellipse) tells Resolve "What is white, keep. What is black, omit." Since you have your polygon in viewer 1, you're seeing the polygon telling Resolve to keep the white part which is why you can see the eye in viewer 2 :)
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Sam Steti

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:09 pm

Hey,

Don't know what you're really expecting but if you need to get what you see in the right viewer of your 2nd screenshot with the ellipse piped into the merge, go to the settings tab of your merge node and tick "multiply by mask"
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion