Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Earth Pushing Out A Corpse

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

femirex3D

Earth Pushing Out A Corpse

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Please, what will be the best approach (in terms of production and post-production) for shooting a vfx scene where the ground rumbles and pushes out a corpse.

Thanks.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Earth Pushing Out A Corpse

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Sounds like practical effect to me. Dig a hole, put some kind of mechanics in that can lift, place corpse on it and cover with dirt etc. If you can’t dig a hole you could do practical element in studio and comp it in, blending in the ground. What’s the framing of the shot?
I do stuff.

femirex3D

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 10:38 pm

@ Hendrik Thank you for the suggestion. The framing is most likely going to be a close-up - still deliberating on that

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 7:44 am

If it is a closeup it could be even easier because you could do it on set on a small elevated platform, because you can probably hide the transition from fg to bg scene behind the dirt mound by framing. Keep the platform as low as possible while being able to put the lifting mechanics under it. Could probably get by with a very simple mechanical lever type of riser for the corpse with a long handle and some manpower.
I do stuff.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 9:45 am

If you have some professional camera equipment at your disposal, you can also put the 'corpse' on a jib arm, which will allow it to rise straight up with relatively little effort. Doing this close up in post only is definitely not something I'd recommend.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sam Steti

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 2:43 pm

Haha, this title got me in :evil: :mrgreen:

Depending on the context (day/night, fog, and any element belonging to horror/gothic atmosphere), I might contact a Maya or Blender artist, or go the Unreal Engine way, to create the opening ground and collapse of stones and debris.
Then composite particles stuff and organic surroundings in Fusion
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Kel Philm

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 8:48 pm

I would do it all practically. Dig a hole, put a hydraulic scissor lift in the hole, bury the hose out of sight, corpse on top, layer of dirt, couple of cameras (BMD of course), then activate the the scissor lift. You should be able to get some rumble by just moving the lift up and down in small increments (you may need to retime these in post using BMD Fusion of course) and maybe a little camera shake as well (in you know what). Sounds like a fun shoot. And don't forget to put some worms in the eye sockets!

birdseye

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:15 am

I'm beginning to worry about some of you people, do you normally have corpes lying around the place? I assumed there would be a living person made up to look dead, in which case they could just sit up and look zombie like, we've all been there. Hydraulic scissor lifts, worms in the eyes, somebodies is gonna end up getting hurt or even dead, which would solve the corpse problem, at least until the police arrive.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 am

If ground rumbles and pushes out a corpse it kind of sounds like corpse isn't crawling out on itself. Could ofcourse, for some great reference I would suggest Lucio Fulci's "Zombie" (or Zombi 2 as it is sometimes called) from 1979, it has some refs for worms in eyes etc. And ofcourse the classic scene of zombie vs shark :D
I do stuff.

Return to Fusion