Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Assets are small

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

CaptainNoAction

Assets are small

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 2:18 am

So I tracked my shot with syntheyes and the assets I put in are way small as well as my 3D image plane. Thoughts on what to look at? Is it normal to size increase the 3D image plane? Max slider is 5 but I just changed to 200 and it is still small.

My resolution is 4k 30. Assets are 4k as well.

Thanks.
Win 10 Home
Ryzen 9 5900X
nVidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti
64GB RAM
Corsair 1000HX PSU
DR Studio

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2021
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
HD 4TB with 3.35TB available

Sander de Regt

Re: Assets are small

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 6:44 am

In syntheyes there's a setting which allows you to set the world size. You can use this to make the export match your desired size. For the end result it hardly makes a difference since it's only the camera angle that decides whether or not everything matches.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Bryan Ray

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 4:43 pm

That's not entirely true. If the scene scale is extreme, then the camera clipping planes might cause problems—there's a lower limit on the near clip, and all of the z information will be crammed into the bottom 1% of the range—and if it's really, really tiny, there might even be floating point accuracy issues.

A unit mismatch, though, could certainly account for things, and it's not uncommon to need a scale multiplier of 100, as that's the difference from centimeters to meters. I suppose if there was an assumption of millimeters you might need to scale by 1000. You should scale everything, though, not just the image plane. There's a Scale control in the Merge3D that scales up everything attached to it.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

CaptainNoAction

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 am

Sander de Regt wrote:In syntheyes there's a setting which allows you to set the world size. You can use this to make the export match your desired size. For the end result it hardly makes a difference since it's only the camera angle that decides whether or not everything matches.

Thank you. Looking into it.

Bryan Ray wrote:That's not entirely true. If the scene scale is extreme, then the camera clipping planes might cause problems—there's a lower limit on the near clip, and all of the z information will be crammed into the bottom 1% of the range—and if it's really, really tiny, there might even be floating point accuracy issues.

A unit mismatch, though, could certainly account for things, and it's not uncommon to need a scale multiplier of 100, as that's the difference from centimeters to meters. I suppose if there was an assumption of millimeters you might need to scale by 1000. You should scale everything, though, not just the image plane. There's a Scale control in the Merge3D that scales up everything attached to it.

Appreciate this, thanks. I am using the scale control in the ImagePlane3D, I am at 200 something.

Questions. What do you mean unit mismatch? When you say scale everything, do you mean on Davinci?

One thing I just noticed. Didn't check, the asset is 1920x1080. I am enclosing a screen shot to show you what I am seeing.Scale is set to 5.0. The Imageplane3D is directly connected to the SynthEyesScene so no Merge3D. Just for the hell of it I connected a merge and it made it smaller.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 6.43.12 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 6.43.12 PM.jpg (869.28 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Win 10 Home
Ryzen 9 5900X
nVidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti
64GB RAM
Corsair 1000HX PSU
DR Studio

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2021
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
HD 4TB with 3.35TB available

Bryan Ray

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:52 am

By unit mismatch I mean the assumptions about what one unit means. In some software, a unit is a centimeter. In others, it's a meter. 3DS Max's default unit is inches, which causes no end of headaches. So it's not uncommon to need to scale something by 100 or 0.01 to account for that assumption. I don't know what Syntheyes assumes a unit means, or whether it applies scaling upon export.

It occurs to me, though, that I might have your problem reversed. You might need to put a 0.01 scale on the scene from Syntheyes. I thought you meant that the backplate provided by SE was tiny, but if you're talking about a new ImagePlane you're adding, then it sounds like your camera and point cloud might be gigantic instead.

The SyntheyesScene node is probably a Merge3D. You'd want to scale down there, then connect it and anything you're adding to the scene to a second Merge3D.

As for the info about pixel dimensions, they have no bearing whatsoever on the 3d scene scale. Regardless of whether you have 4k or HD, the ImagePlane3D node will be the same size. Pixels and scene units are not directly related to one another.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

birdseye

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 8:54 am

What is best practice in 3D, is it better to scale up to the larger assets or scale down to the smaller and does it make a difference with regard to speed and quality in the way it would in 2d.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 9:21 am

Best practice would be to keep your scene in real world scale unless you deal with extremely small or large objects.

3D apps (meant for visuals) usually store the coords in floating point format which has the same relative precision over its value range. This means that absolute precision suffers at large numbers, which manifests itself as rendering artifacts, inability to place objects precisely etc. When scene is very small it technically works but in practice it might make navigation hard and possibly there are other kind of precision issues as you never know when something somewhere has hardcoded range minimum you bump against.
I do stuff.

Return to Fusion