Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Can I use a depth map to give detailed mask info?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Pro Effects MAX

Can I use a depth map to give detailed mask info?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 1:11 am

I know that depth maps can be used in Fusion when I have an EXR with a Z pass, or when I render a 3D scene with the Z information.
But, using the depth map FX, I can create a depth map. Is there a way to use this depth map to mask my scene (using just the depth map with some 2D videos for VFX)?
MacBook Pro 16" M1 MAX Chip
DaVinci Resolve Studio VERSION 18.6.4 BUILD 6
Fusion Studio Version: 18.0.1 build 5
Sony FX30

Sander de Regt

Re: Can I use a depth map to give detailed mask info?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 10:27 am

A bit of yes and a bit of no. You can use this info, but it's not a robust solution in the sense that it doesn't always give the exact same result the way renders do, but there are definitely ways to use it.
I'm not 100% sure what the output of the Depth Map FX is. If it's a b/w image you can use that to drive a bitmap mask, if it's a Z pass you'll need to reroute some of the info for it to be usable, but just like it works for some things in grading it will work for some things in Fusion.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sam Steti

Re: Can I use a depth map to give detailed mask info?

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 11:27 am

Hey
I've been using DM intensively in a ongoing project and look for a way to use its info too.

Since it's supposed to work in Color, I didn't even try it in Fusion, though imho it would be 200% more relevant for it to work there than in Color where its information is used for a lot less goals in the end...

(In the same kind of thoughts, it would be cool to retrieve the track data of the Magic Mask to use it for other purposes)

Now, when you write about DM Fx, you mean you use it in Fusion (as a fusion node) ? Or you do the trick to use in Fusion what you created in the Color page ?
Because I did the second but not other way (in Fu), and I'm interested in a WF which would include the depth map in Fusion for 2D clips. So far Cryptomatte is still there for exr...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion