Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Monitor DR timeline audio in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Hink Drambla

Monitor DR timeline audio in Fusion

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 8:15 pm

I am working on a music video in DR 18.1.2. The music is in an audio-only clip in a dedicated, soloed track on the timeline.

While editing fusion clips, is there a way to monitor the timeline audio (or view waveform) so that Fusion animation keyframes can be easily aligned with changes in the music?

I have tried adapting the method from this post, but I can't get the audio clip into the Fusion comp as a node.
DR 18.6.4 on Windows 11 Pro • Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz • ASUS TUF B550M • 32GB (2 × 16GB) DDR4 3200 • WD Blue M.2 2TB PCIe 3.0x4

Sander de Regt

Re: Monitor DR timeline audio in Fusion

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 8:22 pm

There's a speaker icon on the Fusion page. I think you can right-click it and select timeline audio.
I don't have Resolve in front of me so I can't check, but I think that's how it's supposed to work.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Wildthing

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 4:45 am

Sander de Regt wrote:There's a speaker icon on the Fusion page. I think you can right-click it and select timeline audio.
I don't have Resolve in front of me so I can't check, but I think that's how it's supposed to work.

I'm also in this predicament right now - editing a conference opening motion graphics piece that is highly timed with music.
Would like to keep it all in resolve instead of roundtripping to another motion graphics app, but am having issues getting the audio from the timeline into fusion.

Right clicking on the speaker just gives a mute option.

Is adding markers (as per this YouTube video -
) the only option?

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 9:18 am

Resolve's Fusion page supports the ability to monitor and playback timeline audio. If I'm right, this was a Resolve 17 feature.

From page 2208 in the 18.1 manual,
The Inspector for the MediaIn node contains an Audio tab, where you can choose to solo the audio from the clip or hear all the audio tracks in the Timeline.
If the audio is out of sync when playing back in Fusion, the Audio tab’s Sound Offset wheel allows you to slip the audio in subframe frame increments. The slipped audio is only modified in the Fusion page. All other pages retain the original audio placement.

You'll need to select a timeline-clip based Media-In node (MediaIn1 in the example below) for the choice to be available.
Inspector Audio Selection.png
Inspector Audio Selection.png (93.75 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

Audio waveforms in Keyframes.png
Audio waveforms in Keyframes.png (29.41 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

Wildthing

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 9:21 am

Brilliant - Thankyou!

Hink Drambla

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 8:00 pm

Thanks. This worked well.

Maybe worth noting: I found that when you create a Fusion clip from a blank node tree, there won't be an option for timeline audio on the MediaIn nodes until the Fusion clip is placed on the timeline. If you create the Fusion clip by positioning the playhead over a clip in Edit mode, the timeline audio option is available immediately.
DR 18.6.4 on Windows 11 Pro • Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz • ASUS TUF B550M • 32GB (2 × 16GB) DDR4 3200 • WD Blue M.2 2TB PCIe 3.0x4

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 3:59 am

That's because requesting timeline audio mixes from a media pool context does not make sense.

Hink Drambla

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:44 pm

I understand why; I just wanted to clarify for others how DR/Fusion handles the situation as it it is not the only possible choice. Hypothetically, it could allow you to select timeline audio in the MediaIn properties, but produce silence until the clip has been placed on a timeline.

2ndAttention

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 6:28 pm

Hi all, I am struggling with this. I cannot for the life of me get any audio from the timeline to play during a Fusion clip. I have tried importing the audio as an mp4 and putting it in the timeline but it will not come up as an option under the audio tab for my Fusion clip's media-in node. I tried making a compound clip with mp4 and my video file. When I do that, an option for the audio from the compound clip comes up on the Fusion page but even after purging the audio cache nothing at all happens. This is honestly infuriating and seems to be way too convoluted for such a simple feature. Does anyone have any insight?

Return to Fusion