Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

2001 a space odyssey - Stargate - thoughts?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dazzer

2001 a space odyssey - Stargate - thoughts?

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi folks,

Although i'm getting way ahead of myself here (in terms of my ability), i want to start messing around with this already.

Please check out the video below, the famous "Stargate" sequence from 2001 (the first two minutes or so)

Does anyone have any thoughts on how one might approach this look in Fusion?

I'm aware of what technique was done originally (see below), i'm not sure if that sort of technique can be simulated in CGI.

Otherwise, i'm interested in how people might approach something like this.

The problem seems to me that you need extremely long images or clips or shapes that need to reach from the vanishing point to the camera.

PS: i'm not looking for a "do X Y Z" explanation, i'm just interested in people's random thoughts on it!

I'm also not hoping to copy it, just to get something in the ballpark.

Okke Verbart

Re: 2001 a space odyssey - Stargate - thoughts?

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Interesting one.... my immediate thought would be to use just a couple of 3D image planes with an appropriate camera etc and then feed a 2D particle system as the image plane input. You could then feed all kinds of bitmap shapes as input to the particle system and move them along.

I've done something similar here (is just a draft video of something I'm working on), but then simplified --> the "bumps" in the road are particle bitmaps that run along the same pace as the offset of the road structure (which make them seemingly stick). The render quality was on low and youtube compression made it worse, but it's just to give the idea:

www.ablackbirdcalledsue.com

Dazzer

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Thanks, i think you're right, particles is the way to go.

And i now realize that you can create a very long, thin strip, for example 50 pixels by 32000 pixels, and pipe that into a 3D image plane and have that move past the camera.

Gonna experiment further!

Sander de Regt

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Since Fusion has both a 3D environment *and* motion blur, I'm pretty sure you could recreate the actual setup from 2001. One big image plane that moves zig-zag from left to right, two shapes that are really close together so they form a slit and a camera that does a pullback in one frame while moving sideways to fill the frame and then the motionblur set to something like a 100 and repeat that motion every other frame and you should be good to go.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Dazzer

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks!

I'm ashamed to say i don't know what motion blur is and didn't mess around with it yet!

But at your behest i shall do so!

After a couple of hours of mucking around i came up with this (see below). Considering i have no actual clue what i'm doing, i think it's a decent start!

Dazzer

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 2:16 am

More experimenting:

Return to Fusion