Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Request for Fusion ACES workflow.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

RobertN

Request for Fusion ACES workflow.

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi,

I have looked through this forum and others, and while ACES and OCIO are discussed in some places, I don't seem to get a clear picture about how to set up the Fusion page in order to not get a color shift.

Currently, I am running DR 16.1, a HD project, ACEScc, input and output device transform set to Rec709 (most footage is from such cameras, feature doc project).

A 1080p clip, imported into Fusion (no node applied), will look almost identical on the Edit time line (just a little bit lighter), but, in the Fusion page, will have a magenta shift and blown out highlights in the viewer, and a lot of added contrast and strong yellow shift in the external monitor.

I have not found a way to make it work with the OCIO node or the viewer LUT, despite much experimentation with mentioned setups on this and other forums.

I would humbly request a workflow here, if any of you know: How to setup a Fusion comp in an ACES project, that will represent correct colors while working in Fusion, both on the viewer, and the external monitor.

Thank you so much, your help is very much appreciated.

Robert

Frank Feijen

Re: Request for Fusion ACES workflow.

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Do you have Lut enabled and Managed selected in the fusion viewers?

RobertN

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Yes, "Managed" is checked in the Fusion viewer.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.44.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.44.00 PM.png (105.23 KiB) Viewed 3715 times

Kel Philm

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 am

Hi Robert,

I can give you my workflow, don't know if it will help you but it works for me as I work in Resolve, then use VFX connect so I can then work in Fusion Standalone for the VFX shots.

I setup my Resolve project using ACEScct V1.1. ACES Output REC 709, ACES AP0 Linear.

When I export my clips to Fusion I duplicate the graded clip add handles and remove all colour grades.

When I open the Project in Fusion I setup the viewer LUT to OCIO Colorspace ViewLut using an OCIO config file setting Source Space to 'ACES-ACEScct' and Output Space to 'Output - Rec.709'.

I then add a 'OCIOColorspace' node just before the Saver Setting Source Space to 'ACES - ACEScct' and Output space to 'ACES - ACES2065-1' (Which I believe is ACES AP0 Linear).

I don't use the viewer on the OCIO node just on the upstream nodes, this matches what I see in Resolve pre grade. The Colourspace node will convert to the clip to match the internal ungraded clip in Resolve, I then apply the grade back to the rendered Fusion clip and it all seems to match.

So I guess you just need to change to 'ACEScc' for your flow and it should work. Note that I have made a decision to not bake in Grades to the VFX clip as it becomes messy if you try to change looks later on, just a personal preference.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:05 am

Fusion page + ACES is a proper mess, I have made several threads about different issues and never got a comment from BMD. My impression is that ACES implementation does not have high enough priority to even test if it works. Or maybe even worse, it "works as expected".

Kel Philm wrote:So I guess you just need to change to 'ACEScc' for your flow and it should work. Note that I have made a decision to not bake in Grades to the VFX clip as it becomes messy if you try to change looks later on, just a personal preference.

Working in log space has its own quirks, I'm doing similar approach but set working space to ACEScg.
I do stuff.

RobertN

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:40 pm

@Kel: Thanks for detailing your workflow! Unfortunately I can't replicate it within the Fusion Tab of DR... Still getting all messed up contrasts and colors.

@Hendrik: I wonder if there is a workaround, though, that will work each time, like creating a Fu templet with the necessary LUT and color space nodes...

Has anyone achieved such a workflow?

amiroxx

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 5:06 pm

RobertN wrote:@Kel: Thanks for detailing your workflow! Unfortunately I can't replicate it within the Fusion Tab of DR... Still getting all messed up contrasts and colors.

@Hendrik: I wonder if there is a workaround, though, that will work each time, like creating a Fu templet with the necessary LUT and color space nodes...

Has anyone achieved such a workflow?

i have a simular problem when i use resolve colormanaged and set timeline and output to any kind of hdr then all image in resolve fusion are messed up too...
HP Z8G4 win11pro 64bit- Quadro RTX A4000 GUI, Geforce RTX 3080 - Decklink 4k extreme 12g
m2max laptop osx 14.1.2

Return to Fusion