Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Sticky Note - No color options

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

joshuaz

Sticky Note - No color options

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:30 pm

I am new to fusion. I have added a sticky note. The area where I change color only lets me choose "Clear Color". I noticed in other tutorials, they can set sticky note color. I am using Fusion 16.1.1 build 5.

I have tried right clicking the node and choosing set color, but the only option there is "Clear Color" as well.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
Sticky Note.jpg
Sticky Note.jpg (133.58 KiB) Viewed 3233 times

Bryan Ray

Re: Sticky Note - No color options

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Oh, good. More feature erosion. :(

Previous versions of Fusion did allow you to set a color for a Note. Copying a Note with a different color from Fusion 9 still results in a color in Fu16 (although not the same color, since they unwisely decided to limit the palette for node colors), so it should be possible to make a small script that would restore part of this missing functionality.

Pasting this into your flow should result in a pink Note:

Code: Select all
{
   Tools = ordered() {
      Note1_1 = Note {
         CtrlWZoom = false,
         ViewInfo = StickyNoteInfo {
            Pos = { 292, 197.667 },
            Flags = {
               Expanded = true
            },
            Size = { 196, 179.3 }
         },
         Colors = { TileColor = { R = 0.913725490196078, G = 0.549019607843137, B = 0.709803921568627 }, }
      }
   },
   ActiveTool = "Note1_1"
}

Changing the color of a node works like this:

Code: Select all
newColor = {R = 0.1, G = 0.5, B = 0.1}
tool.TileColor = newColor

Where 'tool' is the name of the tool for which you want to change the color.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chad Capeland

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:59 pm

It seems so weird that a tool designed for color grading would remove the ability to assign a color. Someone had to make a decision along the lines of "Oh my, why would you want to choose a color? Color isn't very useful."
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Bryan Ray

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 5:15 am

And when you are permitted to set a color, you get a choice of only 16. Because someone might be running Fusion on an EGA monitor? I really don't understand that one.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Steadidavid

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 8:00 pm

Still missing this option.

Now all of my fusion node graphs look like they're a desk from 1980's covered in manilla Sticky Notes before they came out with the bright colors...

Really hampering organization and workflow here.

ReinOwader

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 2:09 pm

I just started to learn Fusion in DaVinci. I have previously used Nuke, and AfterEffects. I really miss this custom colour option for Sticky notes and for Underlay as well. Underlay has option for that, but tere are only preset colours. For underlay I had to choose colour that didn't mach content - I did want either light gray or dark gray but as there was no option for that I chose brown. Otherwise I am kinda starting to like Fusion and DaVinci.
Oh and there is another annoyance as well. When I select underlay to change colour, then after changing its colour, there pops up series of another windows which ask if I want to change other nodes as well - one by one, verry annoying.

GeoffreyKenner

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 8:29 pm

It's speculative but if I have to bet, since the color page sees a lot of request each time to implement a better system than the compound node for grouping and managing, I think blackmagic might work on a unified Sticky Note / Group thing between Fusion & Color.

I wouldn't be surprised if it pop up in an update / version soon, but then again I may just be imagining things...
https://www.geoffreykenner.com/

bentheanimator

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 3:56 am

Yep, I learned Fusion right at the end of Fu9 and got used to color changing stickies. Once Fu16 came out, I could open old projects in 16 and they would still have color stickies. If you want color stickies you can go with the code tweak Bryan says but then save that bit of code into your macro folder as something like, "note - blue". Make one for each common color you want and from that point forward, when you command type "note" a list of notes with color options will appear. It would actually be faster than making a note, right clicking, then selecting a color.

The Underlay renaming and color issue is pretty simple. You have to hold the option key when you right click on an Underlay to change it's properties only and not include everything in it's bounds.

Since we're talking notes and underlays, it would be really helpful if they snapped to grid for their bounding sizes. Really chaps the OCD when you make and Underlay and now all the lines are crooked because the Underlay size is different.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Carbo3D

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 1:04 am

Alternate workaround for coloring the stupid Sticky Notes (apologies if this has already been discovered):
1) Drag out an Underlay tool.
2) Inside create a Sticky Note.
3) Highlight the Sticky Note so its box turns RED; very important. Then ALT+RtClick on the Underlay top bar and select one of 16 groovy colors. The Underlay along with the Sticky Note change color. Now you can drag out the colored Sticky Note and change the Underlay to another color or delete it. So you are really using an Underlay to be a colored surrogate. Boy, that really sounds wrong!
System: LENOVO Legion Y7000P-NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060
Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 16GB RAM, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), DDR4-2666 PC4-21300
Graphics adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile - 6 GB
Blah, Blah, Blah...

bentheanimator

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 1:37 am

That's the stupidest... smart thing I've ever heard. Such a hack of a work around. Love it. Err... Hate it, but will be using it from now on. Thank you for that.

Seriously Blackmagic?
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Return to Fusion