Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

FS 16 ACES

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dag_DFNT

FS 16 ACES

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 am

Hi,

the BMD Support advised me to contact this forum
"Thanks for contacting the Blackmagic Support team.

Please be advised, we are unable to provide operational support in regards to Fusion Studio.
However, for further information on the workflow you are enquiring about, I would recommend taking a look at the Blackmagic Fusion forum that I have provided a link for below for information from other Fusion users. "

So I hope some one can help me.

I have a problem with the ACES Workflow - exactly I'm looking for one that is right for my setup.
The footage I use is BMCC4K BRAW and I have no idea how to use the OCIO nodes and which is my input transform. The OCIO config is the ACES 1.0.3.

It would be great when some one could help me.

Best,
Dag

Hendrik Proosa

Re: FS 16 ACES

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Well, this explains why anything related to ACES in Fusion (in Resolve 16 and seems v16 standalone too) is a steaming pile. In addition to operational support they seem to lack operational development too, I sometimes wonder if the worlds most advanced color grading software even has a single color scientist in team.

I can't take a look, what options does reader give you as braw decoding colorspace? Braw sdk allows decoding straight to ACES2065-1, but I'm not sure how it is done in Fusion side.
I do stuff.

Kel Philm

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:03 pm

I posted my workflow here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=103677

Might be a place to start.

Dag_DFNT

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi Kel,

thank you for this link.
So I understood that the work exchange between resolve and Fusion is on the ACES side. What I miss is the correct transform from braw to ACES. Is this raw or log when log what kind of log Sony, Canon, Ari, Panasonic? This is my big problem. In resolve I do not convert braw to ACES for a simply reason, there are not the menu item for aces transform if you right click on the footage as it appears when I use other footage formats as log or sRGB.

Best,
Dag

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 12:51 pm

In Resolve raw formats are decoded and transformed to working space with no option to override it when in ACES project, but standalone Fusion works a bit differently in this aspect.
I do stuff.

Bryan Ray

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 2:50 pm

As far as I have seen, BMD has not released an IDT for their cameras that shoot BRaw. And even if they have, it won't appear in the 1.0.3 config because BRaw is younger than that version of OCIO, I think.

From what I've read elsewhere, it's already linear and scene-referred, but I'm not sure what white point it uses. You might ask over at ACESCentral.com if anyone knows the right way of handling BRaw outside of Resolve. Here's the best bit of info I could find:
https://acescentral.com/t/braw-aces-export-issue/2275/4
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Dag_DFNT

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Thank you all!

It seams that ether Resolve nor Fusion (the very good prf. packages) are not really able to support ACES even for their own products.

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:From what I've read elsewhere, it's already linear and scene-referred, but I'm not sure what white point it uses.

Braw data is internally encoded with custom log curve using integer storage. What the curve is exactly is unknown and as far as I know it isn't directly available using SDK. When frame development is requested, decode colorspace can be specified. These contain BMD Film Log, rec709 with extended range, ACES, pure linear XYZ and a few others. But how it is implemented for user to access depends highly on software.

If one is interested in what braw offers as gamut and gamma choices, I'd suggest taking a look at my Braw Player, I have a thread about it in Post production subforum. It enumerates available choices directly from sdk.
I do stuff.

Return to Fusion