Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Glow Filter POS and Degraining

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Today is my Getting Mad At Filters Day.

So how exactly is the Glow filter worth anything at all without a Threshold control? And why isn't there a proper degraining/denoising tool?
Offline

xunile

  • Posts: 1551
  • Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 am
  • Real Name: Eric Eisenmann

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Timber wrote:Today is my Getting Mad At Filters Day.

So how exactly is the Glow filter worth anything at all without a Threshold control? And why isn't there a proper degraining/denoising tool?


Does this Threshold setting help?
Attachments
2019-12-28.png
2019-12-28.png (598.82 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Win 10 Home
Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB
Resolve 16.2.4
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:58 pm

xunile wrote:
Timber wrote:Today is my Getting Mad At Filters Day.

So how exactly is the Glow filter worth anything at all without a Threshold control? And why isn't there a proper degraining/denoising tool?


Does this Threshold setting help?



Helps a LOT, duh, thanks :-) Now can you show me how to get tangent controls on the Grid Warp?
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Timber wrote:
xunile wrote:
Timber wrote:Today is my Getting Mad At Filters Day.

So how exactly is the Glow filter worth anything at all without a Threshold control? And why isn't there a proper degraining/denoising tool?


Does this Threshold setting help?



Helps a LOT, duh, thanks :-) Now can you show me how to get tangent controls on the Grid Warp?


Never mind - Right Click and Edit Point - found it.
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:11 pm

<<Never mind - Right Click and Edit Point - found it.>>

Of course, the moment one touches the spline handles they disappear. A dialog pops up, but entering values in either mode doesn't seem to do anything. The intuitive thing would be that one can directly manipulate the handles, Shift would constrain to X or Y, etc.
Offline
User avatar

Bryan Ray

  • Posts: 1545
  • Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:32 am
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Timber wrote: And why isn't there a proper degraining/denoising tool?


A question for the ages. Neat Video works well in Fusion if you have the budget for it. I understand there's a decent degrain in Resolve itself, but that would mean preprocessing your plates through there before getting to Fusion.

I've just started trying to understand the Fourier Transform (the basis for a good denoise), so it's possible we'll be able to come up with a community-built degrain fuse in the future. I have no idea how long it's going to take me to figure it out, though.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.musevfx.com
Offline
User avatar

Bryan Ray

  • Posts: 1545
  • Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:32 am
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:28 pm

Timber wrote:<<Never mind - Right Click and Edit Point - found it.>>

Of course, the moment one touches the spline handles they disappear. A dialog pops up, but entering values in either mode doesn't seem to do anything. The intuitive thing would be that one can directly manipulate the handles, Shift would constrain to X or Y, etc.


What you describe doesn't sound familiar. Here's a brief screencap:

https://file.io/IHS1a9

If that doesn't look like what you're experiencing, then I suspect a video driver problem. If it does, then you'll need to be clearer in your description.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.musevfx.com
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Bryan, thanks, but I get a 404 on your sample page. Would very much like to see it.
Offline
User avatar

Bryan Ray

  • Posts: 1545
  • Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:32 am
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostSun Dec 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Wow; I knew it was temporary, but I didn't think it was quite that temporary!

I put it on Vimeo instead:
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.musevfx.com
Offline

JP Docherty

  • Posts: 100
  • Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 8:29 am

As regards de-noising, I'd go further than Bryan's comment on Neat Video - it is one of the best plugins around, and well worth the dosh if you deal with more than a small amount of footage.

It's fast (uses GPU and has a render optimisation option that works well), the de-noise quality is second to none, the UI is great and they are constantly developing it. And not just for Fusion - many professional users of the "other" comp software use Neat by preference rather than the built in one (which is far more advanced than the Fusion built in de-noise, but still inferior to Neat).

And agreed, the Fusion built in de-noise is pretty useless . . .
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 9:17 pm

JP Docherty wrote:As regards de-noising, I'd go further than Bryan's comment on Neat Video - it is one of the best plugins around, and well worth the dosh if you deal with more than a small amount of footage. It's fast (uses GPU and has a render optimisation option that works well), the de-noise quality is second to none, the UI is great and they are constantly developing it. And not just for Fusion - many professional users of the "other" comp software use Neat by preference rather than the built in one (which is far more advanced than the Fusion built in de-noise, but still inferior to Neat). And agreed, the Fusion built in de-noise is pretty useless . . .


Thanks, all. Presumably the edit points are a GPU issue, but so is Neat Video, unfortunately. I'm using an iMac Pro 8-core with Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, which I basically cannot use, because I'm working 16K x 16K for a big video wall, so I'm busted down to CPU. The mask edit points don't work even in proxy mode, and Neat Video is REALLY slow. I may be able to make the edit points work by temporarily reducing the project frame size.
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 9:33 pm

BTW, just rebuilt the project as 2560x2560, and changed to a wheel mouse, but still cannot get the edit points to persist.
Offline

Timber

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am
  • Real Name: Tim Sassoon

Re: Glow Filter POS and Degraining

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 11:13 pm

Timber wrote:BTW, just rebuilt the project as 2560x2560, and changed to a wheel mouse, but still cannot get the edit points to persist.



RTFM!!! Magnet Type must be in Selected...

Return to Fusion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests