Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Video clean feed

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Chris Theofanopoulos

Video clean feed

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Hello there guys and thanks in advance for the help you give to new users...

I have an issue with the clean feed in the fusion tab. While I have managed to preview a pretty decent image in the edit tab (not interested to grade with it), when I move to fusion tab I get a black image at the monitor.
It looks the same like if you deactivate the fusion view lut from the viewer.

Should I add a view lut in the clean feed and how can I do that?

I have noticed that if I change the Mediain source color space and gama from auto to space (even if I dont choose a color space) sometimes it gives a pretty close image to the viewer, but it does not work every time.
I also need to do this each time I open the fusion tab.

So you guys preview the clean feed on external monitor without issues?

Any ideas how can I preview the same thing I see in the fusion viewer? ImageImage

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Mac Pro 2019
Xeon W 3,5ghz
96Gb ram
Radeon Pro Vega II 32Gb

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
intel i9
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

herakles

Re: Video clean feed

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Hello my fellow Greek. I am a new user like yourself so I don't follow what you are asking.

Are you saying you are getting 2 different looking images?

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
asus zenith exrteme alpha x399 - water/air cooling
threadripper 2920x oc4.2 - 32gb ddr4 3200
(2) nvidia titan x Pascal - evga supernova 1600w
corsair 900d - a mix of ssd and m.2 drives and mechanical
(3) lg 34inch ultra wide

Chris Theofanopoulos

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm

herakles wrote:Hello my fellow Greek. I am a new user like yourself so I don't follow what you are asking.

Are you saying you are getting 2 different looking images?

If you check the screen shots you will see the difference between the viewer in the gui and the clean feed to the second monitor. The difference is only visible in the fusion tab and not in the color, edit or any other tab.
I mean that the second monitor is working great in all tabs except fusion.

Mac Pro 2019
Xeon W 3,5ghz
96Gb ram
Radeon Pro Vega II 32Gb

intel i9
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

herakles

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 1:43 pm

The pictures are not very clear in my cell phone they look pixelated. I will look on my computer later to see.

Not sure if I'm right or but are your driver's up to date? Are the resolutions and Hertz the same for both monitors? What version of DR are you using?

asus zenith exrteme alpha x399 - water/air cooling
threadripper 2920x oc4.2 - 32gb ddr4 3200
(2) nvidia titan x Pascal - evga supernova 1600w
corsair 900d - a mix of ssd and m.2 drives and mechanical
(3) lg 34inch ultra wide

Chris Theofanopoulos

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 pm

herakles wrote:The pictures are not very clear in my cell phone they look pixelated. I will look on my computer later to see.

Not sure if I'm right or but are your driver's up to date? Are the resolutions and Hertz the same for both monitors? What version of DR are you using?

Well the pictures are resized by the forum... Just check the difference in brightness. The imac has a 5k resolution and the external monitor is 1080.

Anyway I don't think it is a hardware issue cause the monitor is working as it should in all tabs except resolve fusion.
I am on an imac so never had to update drivers manually.

Thanks hercules..

Mac Pro 2019
Xeon W 3,5ghz
96Gb ram
Radeon Pro Vega II 32Gb

intel i9
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Bryan Ray

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Fusion's GL full-screen image doesn't have the ability to carry a LUT. The most convenient solution is to always view that image through a Gamut node ('no change' to sRGB) instead of putting a node directly into the view. If you're always viewing the last node of your Flow, it's easy enough to make that one a Gamut and never have to touch it afterward.

A more advanced solution would be to install software that actually applies a LUT to the entire screen when it detects the Fusion viewer active there. I seem to recall someone either here or at steakunderwater.com posted about how to set that up. It seemed needlessly complex to me, so I didn't pay much attention.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chris Theofanopoulos

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Fusion's GL full-screen image doesn't have the ability to carry a LUT. The most convenient solution is to always view that image through a Gamut node ('no change' to sRGB) instead of putting a node directly into the view. If you're always viewing the last node of your Flow, it's easy enough to make that one a Gamut and never have to touch it afterward.

A more advanced solution would be to install software that actually applies a LUT to the entire screen when it detects the Fusion viewer active there. I seem to recall someone either here or at steakunderwater.com posted about how to set that up. It seemed needlessly complex to me, so I didn't pay much attention.

Thank you Bryan,
this workaround will be ok for the time. So I can add nodes after the media out ... that's cool !!!
Mac Pro 2019
Xeon W 3,5ghz
96Gb ram
Radeon Pro Vega II 32Gb

intel i9
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Philippe Metro

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 1:59 pm

This thread made me try the clean feed on the fusion tab. There is something weird happening on my system: the picture is slightly scaled down when I switch from the Color or Edit tab to Fusion.

It's no big deal, but I'd like to understand. Do you guys see that too?

Chris Theofanopoulos

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 7:59 am

Philippe Metro wrote:This thread made me try the clean feed on the fusion tab. There is something weird happening on my system: the picture is slightly scaled down when I switch from the Color or Edit tab to Fusion.

It's no big deal, but I'd like to understand. Do you guys see that too?
Well I see a difference in the resolution too, because fusion tab works in the full res of the file and not the timeline res.

So if for example you have an 8k material inserted in a full HD timeline the fusion clean feed will try to output the 8k in the monitor... Scaled of course.

So in your system you don't see a gamma/gamut shift? Only the resolution difference?

Mac Pro 2019
Xeon W 3,5ghz
96Gb ram
Radeon Pro Vega II 32Gb

intel i9
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Philippe Metro

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:06 am

Chris Theofanopoulos wrote:
So if for example you have an 8k material inserted in a full HD timeline the fusion clean feed will try to output the 8k in the monitor... Scaled of course.

I was looking at UHD footage, UHD Timeline on a UHD monitor, so I'm not so sure why there is rescaling involved. I'll do more tests with different resolutions.
Chris Theofanopoulos wrote:So in your system you don't see a gamma/gamut shift? Only the resolution difference?

Fusion output is also less saturated when using Bryan Ray's tip: Gamut node set on sRGB output. Other Output Spaces have a closer result, but none of them match the Color page perfectly.

Bryan Ray

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Try two gamut nodes. Have the first one convert from 'no change' to Rec.709 (display) or Rec.2020 and the second from 709/2020 to sRGB. I'm well out of my depth with anything other than the Fusion page, so I don't know if that will work or not. But if I were to guess, Resolve's color handling is probably 'helping' by doing a similar conversion.

The first gamut should take you to the same gamut that Resolve thinks the output should be, and the second should correct for your screen not actually being that.
Bryan Ray

Philippe Metro

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 9:38 am

Bryan Ray wrote:Try two gamut nodes. Have the first one convert from 'no change' to Rec.709 (display) or Rec.2020 and the second from 709/2020 to sRGB.

Nope, it's not working either :-(
Hopefully BMD will fix that internally one of these days.

Bryan Ray

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 3:24 pm

Well, it was a shot in the dark. Sorry I couldn't be of more use.
Bryan Ray

Philippe Metro

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Well, it was a shot in the dark. Sorry I couldn't be of more use.

I tried again. "Extended Linear Display P3" as Output Space is giving me the exact same colours than the other tabs. Not sure why, but at least there is a workaround to get it working.
Thanks for the help Bryan.

ElliottSmall

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:28 am

Hi all,

I'm seeking some guidance with a similar issue of the Video clean feed but within the Color tab not Fusion tab.

My video clean feed is displaying the blacks crushed although when set Video Clean Feed to None and then Cmd+F to view in full screen (on the same monitor) the blacks are a lot more stable and are stable when the project is exported too.

Can somebody help with this please? It would be great to grade confidently with the clean feed.

Thanks guys and gals

TheBloke

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:44 pm

ElliottSmall wrote:Can somebody help with this please? It would be great to grade confidently with the clean feed.
I'd suggest making a new post in the Resolve subforum. There are many Color experts there who won't read this Fusion subforum, so you have a greater chance of getting a useful reply there.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Frank Engel

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am

ElliottSmall wrote:Can somebody help with this please? It would be great to grade confidently with the clean feed.

The general response you are likely to get is that the software-based full-screen view is not suitable for color grading and you should be using one of the dedicated BMD hardware solutions to drive an external monitor for that (DeckLink or UltraStudio product).

Mark Walter

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 6:40 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Fusion's GL full-screen image doesn't have the ability to carry a LUT. The most convenient solution is to always view that image through a Gamut node ('no change' to sRGB) instead of putting a node directly into the view. If you're always viewing the last node of your Flow, it's easy enough to make that one a Gamut and never have to touch it afterward.

Just for those who are interested. In the meantime it is possible to apply a LUT to the Clean view feed. Just press right mouseclick-> LUT -> Gamut View LUT and click "enabled". So there is no need to work with additional nodes anymore. I am on Davinci 18.1.1

Return to Fusion