Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Practice Exercise in Lesson 7: Replacing Signs and Screens

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

JamesLee

Practice Exercise in Lesson 7: Replacing Signs and Screens

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 11:05 am

Hi,

I am a beginner to Davinci Resolve 16. I have been through Fusion Davinci Resolve 16 guide.

In a practice exercise of lesson 7, the goal is to replace the twitching closed eyes on an actor with a freeze frame of his eyes so they remain static throughout the shot.

Screenshot (16).png
Screenshot (16).png (250.89 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

I tried using techniques taught in the lesson and follow instructions provided in the practice lesson, however, I am not able to replace the twitching closed eyes on an actor with a freeze frame of his eyes.

Upon adding a planar tracker node, I set the reference time at 140.0 before begin the tracking process.

After that, I add time stretcher node, set the source time at 140.0 and perform clone brush around the eyes.

I skipped the steps of "Using Photoshop PSD Layers" and "Corner Pinning an Image"
Below are the nodes:

Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (133.24 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

Instructions provided for this Practice Exercise is as follow:

1 Go to the next to last clip in the timeline
2 Planar track the face of the man.
3 Use the time stretcher node to freeze a frame.
4 Add the matte control and a polygon tool to isolate the eyes.
5 Create a planar transform.
6 Use the planar transform to move the isolated eyes.
7 Composite the eyes over the moving face.
8 Soften the edges of the polygon node.

May I know what I have missed out?

Thank you :)

Sander de Regt

Re: Practice Exercise in Lesson 7: Replacing Signs and Scree

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 2:23 pm

What part of the steps isn't working? That will help you (and us) track down where it went wrong.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

JamesLee

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:07 pm

Below are my steps when completing the exercise:

1. Insert the planar tracker tool between the media in 1 and the media out 1 nodes.
Screenshot (18).png
Screenshot (18).png (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

2. Press 1 to see the planar tracker in the viewer.

3. Move to frame 140.0 in the comp as the area you are tracking is at its maximum size.

4. Draw a simple shape that fits around the face of the man.

5. At the top of the inspector, click the set button at frame 140.0.

6. At the bottom of the inspector, click the track to start button.

7. Move the playhead back to frame 140.0. Then click the track to the end button.

8. Connect the Media in 1 with the time stretcher 1 node.

9. Press 1 to load the time stretcher node into the viewer.

10. In the inspector, click the red keyframe button to the right of the source time slider to disable it.

11. In the source time field, enter 140.0 to hold frame 140.0 for the entire length of the shot.

12. In the node editor, select the time stretcher. In the toolbar, click the paint tool to connect it after the time stretcher.

13. Press 1 to see the paint tool in the viewer.

14. In the viewer toolbar, click the stroke tool.

15. In the inspector, click the clone apply control button to switch from painting with color to painting with a clone brush.

16. Alt-click to the left eye to select the source area offset for the clone brush.

17. At frame 65, drag the polygon tool into an empty area of the node editor near the merge tool.

18. Draw a shape around both eyes.

19. Click the matte control tool from the effects library to add it after the paint 1 node.

20. Alt-drag from the polygon output to the matte control node, release the mouse button and choose a garbage matte.

21. With the polygon node selected, in the inspector, click the invert button.

22. In the node editor, select the planar tracker node.

23. At the bottom of the inspector, click create planar transform.

24. Connect the output of the matte control to the yellow input of the planar transform.

25. Press 1 to view the planar transform in the viewer.

26. Select the planar tracker and press delete.

27. Drag the merge node over the connection line between the media in 1 and the media out 1 nodes to insert it.

28. Drag the output from the planar transform node to the green foreground input of the merge 2 node.

29. Select the merge 2 node, and press 1 to see it in the viewer.

30. Move to frame 140.0.

31. Select the polygon node, and at the top of the viewer, click the make double poly button.

32. Right-click over one of the control points in the viewer and choose Controls > Select > Polygon 1: Outer Polygon

33. Drag the middle control point along the right edge of the shape to create a soft transition edge.

34. Select the media out 1 node to hide the on-screen controls for the polygon node and play the clip to preview the results.

May I know whether I miss out any steps?

Thank you.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:15 pm

What a thorough write up. Thanks.
I don't think you've missed any steps, but my question was at what stage you're not getting the results you want. Is it just at the end? Does the paint tool play back the complete result? Can you see the cut out closed eyes when you view the matte control? If it's not working it has to fail somewhere along the line.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

JamesLee

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 10:47 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I can’t see the cut out closed eyes when I view the matte control.

federicoruggeri

PostMon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm

Hello everybody!
I manage to seamlessly finish this practice exercise but my only problem is that in the first part of the composite clip you can clearly see the freeze frame cut up, due to the difference in exposure on the face of the actor. I tried to soften the edges of the polygon but the problem persists. Is there any way to fix / enhance this?
Thank you!

il_santo86

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 5:23 pm

federicoruggeri wrote:Hello everybody!
I manage to seamlessly finish this practice exercise but my only problem is that in the first part of the composite clip you can clearly see the freeze frame cut up, due to the difference in exposure on the face of the actor. I tried to soften the edges of the polygon but the problem persists. Is there any way to fix / enhance this?
Thank you!

I had the same issue . But after many attempts i solved it just with the polygon soft edge set to 0.02 combine with te double poly. I created "glasses shape" polygon (round the eyes close to the eyebrows and very thin on the nose).

What if i had to use 2 polygons? I cannot create 2 different masking.

Return to Fusion