Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Incorrect frames when rendering

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

OliAndelain

Incorrect frames when rendering

PostTue May 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi, I'm trying to get some 'animation' working in a Fusion Composition on Resolve 16.2 but I'm finding the output has 'incorrect frames' (hard to describe! see below)

I'm not sure my 'animation' is normal - in composition I have attached a "frame render script" to a node which is setting the 'Center' value of an image according to the value of "comp.CurrentTime", and in this way getting it to move around the screen following an algorithm (very happy to be told there's a better way to do this! Algorithm more complex than a path would allow)

When I play back in either Edit or Fusion panels, it will sometimes more-or-less follow what it's supposed to do, but sometimes will be "all over the place" - on frame 7 it renders what should be on frame 13, then frame 8 and 9 and fine, and 10 is blank, etc.

What's peculiar is that if I play back on the Edit panel and I see it renders in some strange manner, re-running the playback will render exactly the same, and then even on "Deliver" rendering an MP4 version will have exactly the same strangeness. But if I go into Fusion and add a space into the "frame render script" to cause it to re-evaluate, the Edit panel will then show some different strange manner (eg frame 7 ok frame 8 looking like frame 3 etc) and the Edit panel will then always show that exact strange manner until I make another edit to the "frame render script".

That sounds all consistent with render caching but I've tried to turn off caching everywhere I can ("Render cache fusion output->off" and project settings "Optimized media and render cache" options off) with no change of behaviour.

During the rendering I sometimes get errors on the Console but not very consistently and

So can anyone advise how I can get it smoothly render each frame where it should be?

Thanks,
Oli

brunocbreis

Re: Incorrect frames when rendering

PostTue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm

Could you show us your nodes? You can just copy and paste it here as a code so we can take a look. It sounds like you're trying to do something simple in a complex way but I'm sure you have a reason for that hahah. If I could see for myself maybe I'd be able to help :)

Chad Capeland

PostTue May 19, 2020 11:04 pm

If you render to an EXR sequence from inside Fusion (not using Deliver), does it work as expected?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

OliAndelain

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:58 pm

brunocbreis wrote:Could you show us your nodes? You can just copy and paste it here as a code so we can take a look. It sounds like you're trying to do something simple in a complex way but I'm sure you have a reason for that hahah. If I could see for myself maybe I'd be able to help :)

I could well believe I'm trying to find the most complex way of doing something straightforward! :D

I can easily describe the nodes - I have a media node linked to a transform linked to an output, and the media node has a render script attached, and the script is this:

Code: Select all
MyTransformNode.Center={comp.CurrentTime/100,math.abs(math.sin(comp.CurrentTime/3)/10)+0.5}

This is adjusting the position of the transform node based on a calculation around the current time. This particular one causes the image to move in a sinusoidal pattern. I appreciate I could achieve something like this with a path but I particularly want to be able to render based on a formula, for ease of tweaking and due to other requirements.

What happens is it renders some of the frames right but others in just random locations or not at all, and if I edit the render script (which I guess resets a cache) it then renders different frames right and others random or not - some times it's almost perfect, other times nonsense.

There may well be better places to add this sort of script so it's rendered better - keen to get any advice on it!

Thanks

OliAndelain

PostFri May 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:If you render to an EXR sequence from inside Fusion (not using Deliver), does it work as expected?

I get the same problem behaviour if I:
* Deliver to generate a file
* Play the film in the
* Play the film inside Fusion

I don't know what an EXR sequence is but from googling it seems to be a file format. Since every means of viewing the sequence behaves the same way, I'm sure that would too.

Return to Fusion