Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Entire fusion comp contents yet again gone.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

IdkAName

Entire fusion comp contents yet again gone.

PostTue May 26, 2020 9:35 am

This is the third time that, upon reloading a project that was perfectly fine the night before, a fusion composition is entirely empty. I'd post a screenshot, but there's really just nothing to see. Create a blank fusion composition and you'll see exactly what I'm seeing.

I don't know what happened, I saved everything and opened and closed Davinci a couple of times and tried everything i could, but this just HAS to be a bug.
The thing is, last two times it was one title or lower third i spent an hour on. This time it's a part of a project I've spent a week on.

I've saved the program every 5 minutes last night, everything was fine yesterday and the entire node structure was there, only for me to open it today and find a single mediaOut1 node.

im not SURE of it, but all the times it's happened i was working with a mask paint.

If anyone has any ideass that would be greatly appreciated. I'm basically afraid of putting time into things bc it can be perfectly fine when i save and close Davinci, and gone the next day.

Thanks in advance

Saad Shah

Re: Entire fusion comp contents yet again gone.

PostTue May 26, 2020 6:06 pm

So when you reopen the project, (I am assuming that you are indeed opening the correct version of the project) everything else in the project is showing up correctly, right? The video clips and your editing etc? Just to make sure this is not an issue of the project itself disappearing? Just the contents of your fusion clip inside DaVinci Resolve.

Okay, so, yeah. Its pretty strange. Cant say I have ever seen that before. Fusion clips inside Resolve are automatically loaded into the Fusion page when your playhead is on top of the clip on the edit page timeline. So its possible that you are looking at a blank new fusion clip, rather than the clip that has your nodes in it. Try clicking the "Clips" menus in Fusion, and that should show you all the fusion clips you have in your project. You can double click on any clip to load it. This should bring back all your nodes. Additionally, you should have your Fusion clips in the media pool as well, so thats another way to load your Fusion clip in Resolve.

I am curious, how are you saving your fusion compositions in Resolve? There's a few different ways. You can save your project, and that should save everything, including Fusion clips. (Personally I dont use this default method).

You can save your comps by File Menu > Export Fusion Comp to save it separately from the project.

Or you can copy/paste your nodes in a simple text file. This is probably the most common and reliable method.
Youtube Channel: Gargoyles At Work

IdkAName

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:09 am

Thank you! I will use the copy/paste method from now on for bigger projects.

Just today i gathered the courage to completely redo the project that disappeared last time, and i can say that it has nothing to do with MaskPaint after all. It happened just 5 minutes ago, but i saved it this time by Rvert To last Saved Session.

Weird thing is, i didnt close out of Resolve this time. I was working on my animation, i went out of the fusion page to let the Edit page render a bit to see how it looked, i think i might have saved (with control-S) aaand it was empty. Completely gone. So i did revert To Last Saved Session and it actually saved it this time :D

So for why it happens.. i have no clue. Its not specific to MaskPaint contrary to my earlier belief. It wasnt a very render heavy thing so far, i only got to the text + displace nodes before it happened. THe only thing i did besides Saving was to switch from fusion to the Edit page.

About copypasting the node tree into a text doc: does that save the Keyframes as well?

Saad Shah

PostFri May 29, 2020 5:57 pm

copy/paste nodes into text saves everything, yes.

sorry I wasnt able to help with why you keep losing your comps everytime you switch out of the Fusion tab. I havent had that issue myself. But I would suggest make sure your Resolve copy is up to date, your windows and drivers are up to date. if the software is somehow corrupted, reinstalling/upgrading should fix that.
Youtube Channel: Gargoyles At Work

roger.magnusson

PostFri May 29, 2020 7:05 pm

DaVinci Resolve tends to close the current Fusion composition when doing certain things, like the first time you save the Resolve project. I don't know if that's what you've seen, but in that case the composition isn't gone, just closed.

IdkAName

PostSat May 30, 2020 9:33 am

Thats no problem. The tip about backing things up in data files is MASSIVe for me.
Thanks for the help guys, I'll check if my software is up to date but i upgraded to the latest version just a week ago.

'm not sure if this forum has something like "closing the topic" but if there is: mods, i think there's not much to add to this topic, I'd say its done(unless anyone figures out the cause of the bug).
Have a great day!

RottenScott

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 9:04 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:DaVinci Resolve tends to close the current Fusion composition when doing certain things, like the first time you save the Resolve project. I don't know if that's what you've seen, but in that case the composition isn't gone, just closed.

YES! This freaked me out the first time it happened as I thought my Fusion composition had vanished but in fact had just been closed as a result of saving the project the first time.

So, definitely worth checking to make sure this isn't what is happening to you -- look for that fusion composition such as in the media pool and open it to see if it's actually still there...

Mark Grgurev

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 pm

How are you making the blank Fusion compositions? Are you storing them in the Timeline for in the Media Pool?

dh2909

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 5:46 am

Did you manage to find a way to recover the lost Fusion compositions?

I have just taken on my 1st freelance project and fell victim to this! The 1st time its ever happened...

Spent hours getting my camera tracking accurate and placing text. All for it to disappear when loading up today.

I will have to try the cop to text to save me in future.

dh2909

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 5:52 am

In fact it has bugged my entire project.

If I try doing a camera track again, a lot of the options don't work. I cant darken the image, cant see the tracks.

HAving to start from scratch.

What a time to come across this bug lol...

RikshaDriver

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 am

I'm guessing you are talking about a Fusion comp inside Resolve.

More than likely, this is because of what I've raised in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=116729

In essence, the Fusion Composition you add into in the Timeline is not the same thing as the Fusion Composition in the Media Pool.

Modifying one happens independently of the other (which I think is ridiculous). Make sure you've got the right one.

Until BMD links the two comps, my recommendation would be to always modify the Comp in the Media Pool (Double click on the comp in media pool) and then manually drag that back into the timeline.
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

Return to Fusion