Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion and 3d camera clipping distance.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

magickoji

Fusion and 3d camera clipping distance.

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 8:08 am

Am I correct in assuming that in Fusion you can not actually move the camera through the 3dimageplane like you can in AfterEffects. That the closes you can come to is .05 units away? I'm asking because I'm flying into the surface of Jupiter, and I need to dive into the clouds, but I need the 3d camera to go right up to the imageplane or a least stop right up to it. Right now it's still too far away from the image plane before it clips out. Is there a work around or can Fusion not do this. In aftereffects you can fly right through and image plane, there is no clipping of it.

thanks,

-Koji

TheBloke

Re: Fusion and 3d camera clipping distance.

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 5:21 pm

I just tested two options that seemed to work OK in a simple, isolated test:

The first is to animate the Focal Length, which allows you to zoom you in further at a given distance, and could be used once you reach the 0.05 clip threshold to simulate the camera getting even closer, even though it's not.

The second option is quite different: switch the camera to Orthographic and then animate the Scale to zoom in and out - instead of moving the camera itself. This also allows zooming in infinitely (as far as I can tell). The Scale slider only goes to 10 by default, but you can type in any higher number.

Switching to Orthographic effectively removes all of the Angle of View / Focal Length settings, plus nullifies all movement on Z, replacing it with a single Scale control. You can still pan on X and Y.

I don't know for sure if these will work in your example, but they might be worth trying. I'm quite new to Fusion so there may well be another and better way.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Steve Roberts

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 8:25 pm

There is also the soft clip tool, which will fade an image plane out as it approaches the near clipping plane

SpaceMax

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 7:23 pm

Coming from Afx, Fusion continues to disappoint on even the most basic levels.

Frank Feijen

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 9:57 pm

Another workaround: scale-up your 3d-scene, and then add the camera, this way the 0.05 can become 0.0005 - for instance?

And I must admit that I, as well, don't get the reason behind this hardcoded-near-field-clipping.

Return to Fusion