Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Images low resolution inside Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Nathan Shirley

Images low resolution inside Fusion

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 9:42 pm

I've got a very wide PNG file (about 12000 pixels by about 1000 pixels) with a transparent background in Fusion. If I zoom into it (with the "size" slider) using either a transform node, or a merge node, it appears very low resolution. My rendered video is 1920x1080, and I'm not zooming in beyond the resolution limit of this image file. Something strange is happening to the file within Fusion. One note: when I zoom in/out on this image within Fusion, it shows a bounding box which is far larger than the image itself... like over 3 times wider/taller. Perhaps that's a clue?

My nodes are as follows: background (set to transparent) > merge, with transform above, with media in above that with the PNG > and from that merge node to media out. I've removed the transform mode but adjusting "size" in the merge node alone gives identical results.

Thanks for any help.

UserNoah

Re: Images low resolution inside Fusion

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 4:46 am

No idea what is happening but try loading your image into Fusion with a Loader instead of MediaIn.

Nathan Shirley

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 am

Thanks so much, that worked perfectly. And the bounding box is now correctly sized to the image.

I think a bug must have been introduced in a recent release. I've done this before without issue, but just updated to the last release before starting this new project.

Frank Engel

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 10:44 am

If you are using a Media In node to bring in the underlying clip from the Resolve edit timeline into a Fusion Clip, it will normally provide frames to Fusion at the timeline resolution rather than at the original media resolution.

Bringing a single clip into Fusion from the edit timeline without creating a Fusion Clip should maintain the original resolution.

If you drag one in from the bin it should obviously be at the source resolution.

Review the first few pages of Lesson 6 in this document as it covers all of this in detail:

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... ffects.pdf

Nathan Shirley

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:22 am

This image wasn't being brought in from the Resolve edit timeline, it was being brought directly into Fusion.

Return to Fusion