Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Equirectangular Zoom

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

mpayne

Equirectangular Zoom

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:21 pm

Hello,
I'm working with equirectangular horizontally stacked (VR180) video in Resolve Studio. All is well, except I need to zoom in on some of the shots, and I can't figure out how to do it properly. There does not seem to be any information about this online. I tried splitting the 5760x2880 frames into left and right 2880x2880 images and zooming them separately using 2D transforms (as shown below), but the zoomed equirectangular images comically diverged when viewed through a VR headset. Planar zooming of equirectangular images is clearly not the proper solution. I have also tried various combinations of 3D nodes, but none seem to be suited for this simple task. I am sure there is a simple way to do this. Can anyone share how to accomplish zooming in VR180 video?
zoom fusion.png
zoom fusion.png (14.44 KiB) Viewed 890 times

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Equirectangular Zoom

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 7:42 am

If it is full 360 degree panorama you can't zoom it. If it is a fixed view experience, projecting/wrapping onto sphere and re-rendering with a camera that has narrower fov should give proper zoom, given that you also converge the views as necessary.
I do stuff

Andrew Hazelden

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 am

mpayne wrote:Can anyone share how to accomplish zooming in VR180 video?

Hi mpayne.

Take a look at the free "reframe360" OFX plugin. It is likely the fastest way to get the panoramic "zooming" aka the "overcapture" look you are interested in seeing inside of Resolve:
http://reframe360.com/
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

mpayne

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 2:46 am

The OFX plugin Reframe360 actually worked, thanks, but I was never able to achieve less than 2X zoom while still filling the frame. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I wanted around 1.1X dynamic zoom max, just to make the video more interesting. I am capturing live action with just one stereo camera, so dynamic zoom would help. The issue with zooming more than about 10% is the resulting 2880x2880 image becomes too blurry when projected in a 120 degree FOV headset.

I also tried projecting the R/L images onto 3D spheres and moving the camera, but those were too blurry no matter the zoom level. Apparently I don't know how to do that right. I am going to need a tutorial of some kind to make this work. Until then my viewers will just have to do without. I have spent days on this... :?

Return to Fusion