Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Tracked Text Title renders “strange”

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

louisvantonder

Tracked Text Title renders “strange”

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 12:32 pm

I am tracking a text object and sticking it to a certain point in my clip. This all work as expected, and looks good inside the fusion tab.

But... when I view this in the "edit" tab... the text becomes "blurred" when the clip plays. Almost like motion blur. All techniques and settings are used to get a basic text track working. Nothing else was fiddled with.

I have also tried to render out this section to file, and the blurred text renders to output file, yet is perfectly fine inside fusion.

Any ideas?

Resolve 16.2.5

EDIT TAB
EDIT TAB.png
edit tab
EDIT TAB.png (343.03 KiB) Viewed 864 times

FUSION TAB
FUSION TAB.png
FUSION TAB
FUSION TAB.png (277.78 KiB) Viewed 864 times

FUSION PAGE
fusion page.JPG
FUSION PAGE
fusion page.JPG (149.78 KiB) Viewed 863 times

Igor Riđanović

Re: Tracked Text Title renders “strange”

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:56 pm

The top screen grab is too small to see for sure, but it looks like two fields of interlaced video.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

louisvantonder

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

I was also thinking that it looks "interlaced"... but why...!? This is a text+ object that I added inside of fusion to a 30fps HDR clip from an action cam. Again, INSIDE fusion tab, its perfect through all the frames stepping back and forth.

In edit and final render, it changes from frame to frame, becoming more and less prominent...

frame1.JPG
frame1.JPG (46.09 KiB) Viewed 815 times

frame1.JPG

frame1.JPG
Attachments
frame 3.JPG
frame 3.JPG (60.44 KiB) Viewed 815 times
frame 2.JPG
frame 2.JPG (60.68 KiB) Viewed 815 times

xunile

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Can you post a screenshot of the Edit Page with the scene with the truck without the Fusion Title?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

louisvantonder

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 6:28 pm

xunile wrote:Can you post a screenshot of the Edit Page with the scene with the truck without the Fusion Title?

The video clip itself is clean... no distortions or artifacts, with or without the title.

just truck.JPG
just truck.JPG (65.53 KiB) Viewed 759 times

I have since done the tracking in the color page, tracking the point on the clip and then copying the tracked data to a title on the timeline, and it now renders without any artifacts. (Although not as smooth as I would like), but this is a really strange situation. It's as if the fusion "output", does something weird.

Maybe it's having a difficult time combining the title with the codec/clip attributes? Its an HDR 30fps clip from a DJI Osmo Action cam. My timeline is 24... (yes I know I know, my wife bumped the quick select on the action cam and it defaulted to 30/HDR....) .

Still just REALLY strange that it's absolutely perfect inside the fusion tab...

Jason Conrad

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 1:48 am

I saw this question on stack exchange before I saw it here. The larger screengrabs here look less like an interlacing issue, and looks more like mismatched frame rates with Frame interpolation. Have you done anything on the Color page? Could also be motion blur there, or any of the plugins that use optical flow analysis, like de-flicker. Also, applying re-timing on the edit page will use whatever Retime Process the Frame Interpolation is set to in Project settings, although why it might only affect the Fusion text is a bit of a mystery, unless the video is mostly static.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

louisvantonder

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 am

Jason Conrad wrote:I saw this question on stack exchange before I saw it here. The larger screengrabs here look less like an interlacing issue, and looks more like mismatched frame rates with Frame interpolation. Have you done anything on the Color page? Could also be motion blur there, or any of the plugins that use optical flow analysis, like de-flicker. Also, applying re-timing on the edit page will use whatever Retime Process the Frame Interpolation is set to in Project settings, although why it might only affect the Fusion text is a bit of a mystery, unless the video is mostly static.

I have done basic colour correction on the clip using primary wheels only. No extra stuff like noise reduction, re-time or anything. I actually disabled all the default plugins on the clip, and still had this effect.

I have moved on for now so can't really test any further proposed solutions, but I am still damn curious as to why this happens as it did. I hope I don't run into this again in the future...

Return to Fusion