Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Need Clone Tool to stop midway through clip

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

noregerts

Need Clone Tool to stop midway through clip

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 pm

I have a mic stand visible in a shot (several shots after cutting back and forth.) During the clip where everyone is more or less static, the clone tool works flawlessly, beginning to end. In one of the clips, however, an actor moves his head across the previously masked mic stand. When he does so, his head moves through the copied area, which messes up the cover-up and then his head goes over the mic stand and is then covered up by the wall I'd been cloning over the stand.

I tried painting over the stand using a frame in the middle of the shot and then animating the motion tracker in reverse but that didn't work because even though the motion tracker stopped, the cloning still persisted. I also tried setting the brush stroke duration as a negative number but that also didn't work. Is there a way to tell the clone tool to only work for so many frames?

Thanks

febros

Re: Need Clone Tool to stop midway through clip

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 7:02 am

Have you tried to apply a mask node and animate it with keyframes?
Resolve 16.2.7 (or newer), Fusion 9
Windows 10 / Ubuntu Studio 20.04
Ryzen 3900X, GTX 1080Ti, 64Gb RAM @ 3200MHz
Audio: Echo FireWire 12 + Presonus Octopre MkII

Bryan Ray

Re: Need Clone Tool to stop midway through clip

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Animate the Blend control to turn the Paint node off when it is no longer needed. Usually you'll want to do this gradually across as many frames as possible in order to avoid a visible pop.

You'll need to roto the actor's head back in over the patch, as febros says. I usually like to do that by using a Bspline or Polygon tool with a MatteControl to cut out the foreground object, then Merge it back over the patch. This gives you the ability to do some extra edge treatment if you need to.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.musevfx.com

Return to Fusion