Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Change the IP address on Fusion 16 Render Node

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Barksie

Change the IP address on Fusion 16 Render Node

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to change the ip address of a Fusion 16 render node?

The software is automatically prioritising a network adapter that is not part of the network with the master licenced machine.

fusionNodeWrongIP.png
fusionNodeWrongIP.png (22.36 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

The master machine can see the node via the desired ip in the render manager, but the render node itself not to register the licence from the master, as it is set to 10.0.0.7

fusionRenderManager.png
fusionRenderManager.png (24.8 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

When I disable the 10.0.0.7 network adapter, the software finds the correct one and it works. Unfortunately I cannot disable this adapter.

Is there a pref file I can modifiy to force the correct ip?

Many thanks

TheBloke

Re: Change the IP address on Fusion 16 Render Node

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 pm

There's an environment variable, FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER which can be set to the IP of the license server.

On macOS, I might try executing the Render Node from the command line with:

Code: Select all
FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER=192.168.0.10 /Applications/Blackmagic\ Fusion\ 16\ Render\ Node/Fusion\ Render\ Node.app/Contents/MacOS/Fusion\ Render\ Node

On Windows, open Settings, search for "Environment Variables", and you'll get this UI:

Choose Environment Variables in the bottom right, then you can add the variable in the Environment Variables UI that pops up.

Then restart the Render Node and see if that works.

I believe it's also possible to embed environment variables in config files. In Fusion Studio, one can open the Console and type:
-- Tell Fusion Studio where to hunt for a multi-user license dongle on the local LAN network:
fu:SetPrefs("Global.EnvironmentVars.FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER", "192.168.1.12;*")
fu:SavePrefs()

Which would save that to the preferences file of the current user. I'm not 100% sure how to transfer that to the Fusion Render Node. But you could try running that in the Console on Fusion Studio, then open your preferences file (it'll be in Profiles\Default most likely, under the Fusion AppData directory), find the text it just added, then copy insert that text in the same place in the preferences file for your Render Node.

But hopefully just setting it in the environment variables for the current user should be OK.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Barksie

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 am

Tom, thank you!

The env variable worked perfectly.

Really appreciate your insight and time on this.

Cheers Tom.

Dan

TheBloke

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:39 pm

That's great Dan, glad it helped.

I was just writing the following when your reply came in, so I'll post this for future reference, in case anyone needs it in future:

TheBloke wrote:Which would save that to the preferences file of the current user. I'm not 100% sure how to transfer that to the Fusion Render Node. But you could try running that in the Console on Fusion Studio, then open your preferences file (it'll be in Profiles\Default most likely, under the Fusion AppData directory), find the text it just added, then copy insert that text in the same place in the preferences file for your Render Node.
I looked into this in a bit more detail today.

Running the Console commands I listed result in the following being added to Fusion.prefs:
EnvironmentVars = {
         FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER = "192.168.0.20;*"
      }
This was added near the bottom at the file, in the Comp = { ... } section, which covers nearly the entire file.

The Render Node config file is called RenderNode.prefs, and on Windows it will be found at this location:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\RenderNode.prefs
It should be possible to add the code listed above to this file. The method I would suggest is:

1. Close Fusion Render Node
2. Make a backup of RenderNode.prefs
3. Open RenderNode.prefs in Notepad, or ideally a code editor's text editor such as Visual Studio Code or Notepad++ (both are free). Don't use WordPad, Word, or any other rich-text editor.
4. Search down for this text (the version number may vary slightly if you're not running 16.2.4)
   Version = {
      "8.0"
   },
   Comp = {

5. Then modify it like so:
   Version = {
      "8.0"
   },
   Comp = {
      EnvironmentVars = {
         FUSION_LICENSE_SERVER = "192.168.0.20;*"
      },

Of course changing the IP address to the correct one for your license server.

6. Save the modified RenderNode.prefs and run the Fusion Render Node

It should now hopefully find the license server without requiring any environment variables set.

This method is an alternative to setting environment variables. You can use either method, but there's no need to do both.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Roei T

PostWed Jul 20, 2022 1:17 pm

I think I am having the same issue. I get this IP address in the render node which I think is causing my issues with deadline/render manager

ipissue.png
ipissue.png (9.29 KiB) Viewed 872 times

it's a laptop connected via router. it used to work for me rendering through deadline. now it seems that no matter what, the render node is not connecting to the comp sent. if I try in render manager, the master computer recognizes the render node - but fails upon render. I think it's something to do with this IP. I tried the instructions but wasn't sure I am doing this right.

variables.png
variables.png (35.39 KiB) Viewed 872 times

also tried to do it in the rendernode.prefs
prefs.png
prefs.png (45.95 KiB) Viewed 872 times

but the ip stays the same, and I am stuck with my issue. wrote about it here also:
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... php?t=5578

would appreciate any help

Roei T

PostThu Jul 21, 2022 4:59 pm

UPDATE - eventually I was able to narrow it down to the fusion node status in the remote computer which stated "no license". turning off the firewall in THE HOST computer for private network fixed it. having fusion allowed in the firewall was not enough

Return to Fusion