Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resolution of MediaIn reduced?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kordanor

Resolution of MediaIn reduced?

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 8:10 pm

Hey there!

I am actually coming from Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (yeah really) and now I am trying to do something in fusian, which was actually quite easy in Premiere Elements 2, but I just can't get it to work here.

I got a screenshot of a webpage which is created with a mod as there is quite a bit to scroll. The resolution is 1920 x 14358

Now I want to show the top of the picture then slowly scroll down and then faster and faster.

In the normal timeline that's not really doable as the Bezier Curve it is offering is very limited. You the "points" you can drag have a fixed distance to the node and fine tuning is pretty much impossible. So the only somewhat bad workaround is to make multiple nodes and multiple bezier curves.

Then I found fusion and thought it should be easy to do it there. Just import the picture there, and have a camera going down faster and faster.
However, now the picture seems to be cripped in resolution. I can zoom in with the camera and scale the picture or use a scaler, but all I get is unrecognizable pixels.

What's the solution here? Is there actually one? The solution of doing it in premiere elements 12, because DaVinci can't handle it, then export and import it here sounds a bit stupid to me, but if it works it works...

TheBloke

Re: Resolution of MediaIn reduced?

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 10:32 am

How exactly are you getting the media into Fusion? The method used can alter how Fusion sees the media, and that can affect the resolution handling.

There's three general ways you might be doing this:

1. You made a "single-clip composition" on the picture itself: you dragged your screenshot onto a Timeline, like a video clip, then went to the Fusion page when the playhead was over that clip (or you right-clicked on the clip and chose Open In Fusion Page.)

2. You imported the picture from the Media Pool, into a separate Fusion composition: you created a new Fusion Composition clip, or added a single-clip Fusion composition to some video footage on a Timeline, and in that composition you dragged in your screenshot from the Media Pool, creating a new MediaIn node. Or you dragged it direct from Explorer/Finder into the Fusion page, which achieves the same result.

3. You used a Fusion Clip. As with 1, you dragged your screenshot onto a timeline, possibly adjacent to other screenshots or video files. Then on that timeline you selected the screenshot (and maybe other clips), right-clicked and chose "Create New Fusion Clip". This replaced that clip/those clips with a Fusion Clip. You then went into the Fusion page on that clip (or right-clicked on it and chose "Open in Fusion Page". At which point you got one MediaIn node for each video layer inside the Fusion Clip, one of which would have been viewing the screenshot.

Methods 1 and 2 should both see the full resolution of the source clip. Meaning that if you did method 1 or 2, your MediaIn node for the screenshot should see the full 1920x14358 resolution.

Method 3 will not see the full resolution. Nested timelines and timeline-like clips do not preserve the resolution of clips within them. If you create a Fusion Clip on a 1920x1080 timeline, then a Fusion composition placed on that Fusion Clip will see all media as 1920x1080. Trying to zoom in would then be poor quality.

So, which did you do? If it was method 3, then what you saw was the expected result. If you did one of the other two methods, then I'm not 100% sure what's happening, and you should show some screenshots of how you have things set up exactly.

There's also a fourth option available in this instance. You can add a Loader node, which can directly access a still image, or a sequence of still images, from disk. Unfortunately Loader nodes can't load video footage (something they can do in standalone Fusion Studio). But in your case you do have a still image, so using a Loader node is viable, and indeed may well be preferable (there can be performance problems when MediaIn nodes are used to load still images, whereLoader nodes are fine.)

So, to sum up:

> If you used methods 1 or 2 as described above, then it should work OK. In which case, please show screenshots of your Edit page and your Fusion page, and in the Fusion page screenshot please have the MediaIn node in one viewer, and MediaOut node in the other. Position these viewers so we can see the resolution of the clips (this is displayed as text in the top right).

> If you used method 3, a Fusion Clip, then you can try again using either method 1 or 2 and it should work.

> Or, in all scenarios you could try a Loader node instead: whatever type of Fusion composition you have, you can add a Loader node, then browse to find your screenshot on disk, and that will get that screenshot into your composition, at full resolution. This may be the best option regardless of your setup, as you may hit performance problems loading large still images with MediaIn nodes.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 and Fusion Studio 16.2.4 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Hackintosh: X58, Intel X5670 @ 4.32 Ghz, 48GB RAM, AMD Vega 64 8GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 (4K) & 3 x 1920x1200
Audio: Behringer UMC404HD

Kordanor

Re: Resolution of MediaIn reduced?

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks a lot!

I have to admit that I don't understand all of what you wrote, however I tried your advice with the loader (btw for other newbs like me - you can get it by pressing shift+space and search for loader) and that worked perfectly fine.

Thanks again!

Return to Fusion