Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How To Make Custom Mask Move With Clip-Noob

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Evan Feldman

How To Make Custom Mask Move With Clip-Noob

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 5:58 am

Hi, I apologize if this has already been asked but I am trying to use a custom mask to cover a bald spot (as can be seen in this video
). My question is, in the video, he lowers his head and quickly snaps it back. How can I keep the mask only on the bald spot? Thanks in advance

TheBloke

Re: How To Make Custom Mask Move With Clip-Noob

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 9:52 am

Is this video the totality of what you need to mask? There's only 82 frames, so one answer could be: just mask it manually, ie rotoscope it. It'd likely only take a few minutes.

Another option is the Planar Tracker. I had a quick go at doing a planar track on his bald spot, and my first attempt, with no tweaking, achieved a decent track from frames 5 to 79, ie only 8 frames were not tracked - the ones where the spot disappears completely. Having done the PlanarTracker I change its mode to Corner Pin, and attached a Background to its CornerPin1 (green) input, which puts that background over the bald spot. You could instead pin the result of a paint node, or create a PlanarTransform to manipulate a mask which you then use as input to any node you want to alter his bald spot.

A third option would be to try and mask it based on the difference with its surrounding, ie with a ChromaKey. It's fairly easy to select the bald area as it's mostly skin tone, surrounded by dark hair. I added a ChromaKey, and then in the viewer dragged a selection around his bald spot. I repeated this on a few frames to make sure I got it all. By default this masks OUT the bald spot, leaving everything else opaque, so I selected "Invert Matte" in the ChromaKeyer's third tab.

Of course because I'm selecting skin tone, this mask will also select some of his other skin, so we need to stop that. I did that with a Polygon node which I inverted and the connected to the Garbage Matte input of the ChromaKey. I could then use the output of the ChromaKey as a mask, eg masking a Background node which was merged over the original footage would put a solid colour where his bald spot was.

I found I needed to animate that Polygon garbage matte due to his head movements. So I ended up doing part of the rotoscoping work, however this was a much easier variant because I only needed a rough mask. I ended up creating about 25 keyframes on that mask, but because it didn't need precise positioning, this was very quick.

Here's what I ended up with, demonstrating both methods:

Normally I would copy my nodes and paste them into the forum so you could copy and paste them into your comp, but because of all the keyframes on the Polygon and PlanarTracker nodes, it exceeds the character limit of the forum. So instead I've uploaded a .setting file, which because this forum will only allow certain file extensions to be uploaded, has to be zipped. So, unzip BaldGuyNodes.zip and you'll get a .setting file. You can then simply drag and drop the .setting file into your Fusion flow and it will re-create the nodes.

You can replace the input to the PipeRouter with your actual video input (MediaIn node if you're in Resolve). Note that I did this starting from frame 0, so if the video you uploaded to YouTube is a short segment of a longer video, you might need to adjust the starting frame of the keyframes to line up - you can do this in bulk in the Spline Editor or Keyframes pane.
Attachments
BaldGuyNodes.zip
(14.61 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 and Fusion Studio 16.2.4 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Hackintosh: X58, Intel X5670 @ 4.32 Ghz, 48GB RAM, AMD Vega 64 8GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 (4K) & 3 x 1920x1200
Audio: Behringer UMC404HD

Sander de Regt

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 am

Tom, do you ever sleep? Do you have a day job? How do you manage to create so many wonderfully detailed responses on this forum? Kudos!
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

TheBloke

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 10:23 am

Sander de Regt wrote:Tom, do you ever sleep? Do you have a day job? How do you manage to create so many wonderfully detailed responses on this forum? Kudos!

I do have a day job - though not today, it's Saturday :) But I work from home as a freelancer and lately try and do as little as possible, so I can pursue hobbies. I like to help if I can, and I often learn myself in the process so it's a win-win.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 and Fusion Studio 16.2.4 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Hackintosh: X58, Intel X5670 @ 4.32 Ghz, 48GB RAM, AMD Vega 64 8GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 (4K) & 3 x 1920x1200
Audio: Behringer UMC404HD

Return to Fusion