Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion exr workflow (3D render)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

cr4zyfx

Fusion exr workflow (3D render)

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Hey, I am relatively new to fusion and I'm trying to understand what the hell is up with the multichannel EXR workflow.

Is there any script/plugin that can extract exr channels from a single loader node?
I know there is that exr splitter script but that only speeds things up a bit.

Also when trying to use a multilayer exr comp as a template I can't just select all the loader nodes and replace the input paths at once. The only workaround I have found so far is a script that can Batch rename stuff. I genuinely can't wrap my head around the fact that I need to do this to achieve a somewhat usable workflow.

It's quite frustrating and really just makes me consider getting nuke indie and calling it a day.

Any tips for multichannel EXR compositing would be appreciated. I really want to like this software but it is not making it easy...

Paul Mumford

Re: Fusion exr workflow (3D render)

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Was just scouring the forums looking for a similar answer.

I would love to see some multipart EXR support ala EXR v2+ come to fusion to help manage this. I'm seeing posts going back to Fusion8 asking for similar.

Joël Gibbs

Re: Fusion exr workflow (3D render)

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 5:11 pm

If I recall, Fusion's way of handling the multipart exrs, is more based on its philosophy than on a technical limitation. If you're finding posts from 2008 about it (I'm sure you are, because it's been a long-lasting debate), I'm sure you're seeing some counter-arguments about it also.
If you're coming from a nuke workflow, I'm sure it's frustrating. The best thing I've seen to handle that workflow is the exr splitter and proceed with that. Not ideal I'll admit.

Return to Fusion