Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 17 Blacklist for OFX plugin not working

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

freshtc

Fusion 17 Blacklist for OFX plugin not working

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 1:47 pm

I've installed Fusion 17 Beta 2 on my PC and Fusion is still trying to load an OFX plugin even though I added it to the Plugins17.blocklist file. The orig file had "Nil" in it & I replaced it with the path to OFX plugin that previously was working in Fusion 16 FusionOFX.blacklist.

I still get an OFX plugin failed to load when I run Fusion & checking back at the blackliist file, I see the contents I put in are gone & "Nil' is back in it. I tried making the blacklist file Read-Only & while my updatd contents are retained...I'm still getting OFX plugin failure popup on Launch.
I also tried placing the orig FusionOFX.blacklist from V16 into the Profiles\Default folder with no success.
Has the procedure changed or is this a new bug?

cjadams

Re: Fusion 17 Blacklist for OFX plugin not working

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Same here.. very annoying..!

BCC_OFX_3D_Objects.ofx is Crashing Fusion Studio. - Snce we cannot BLOCK plugins without removing it from Resolve as well. what is to be done?

i understand you don’t Support Fusion Studio. but IT does work in Resolve / FusionTAB… However IT also sadly BLOCKS StandAlone Fusion from even Running!

I did try a block list file no luck. it still loads!

avclubvids

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 4:41 am

Try changing the name of the file from "FusionOFX.blacklist" to "FusionOFX.blocklist"

cjadams

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 4:53 pm

no good still tries to load the ofx plugin..

John Tiefenbrunner

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 am

avclubvids wrote:Try changing the name of the file from "FusionOFX.blacklist" to "FusionOFX.blocklist"

This worked for me!
I had it named "FusionOFX.blacklist" before (with an "a"), as most posts referred to it that way - no luck, Fusion still was trying to load all the plugin listed there.

After renaming it to "FusionOFX.blocklist" (with an "o") it finally worked - Fusion did not try to load the plugins listed in that file anymore.

So the full path of that file on macOS is:
Code: Select all
~/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Profiles/Default/FusionOFX.blocklist

(where "~" stands for your User Home folder)

The plugins must be listed with their full path, one per line - so e.g. for Red Giant Carousel:
/Library/OFX/Plugins/Red Giant Universe/Universe_Stylize_Carousel_OFX_Fx.ofx.bundle

Thx @ avclubvids!

J.

pinthenet

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 8:47 am

Does anyone know how this should be setup for Windows Fusion 17?
I found what I think is the equivalent folder
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Profiles\Default
and found there was already a file "Plugins17.blocklist" containing one line: 'Nil'
I changed this to match the plugin I wanted to block
C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\NewBlueFX\Essentials.ofx.bundle
with & without quotes, but no luck.
I copied the file to FusionOFX.blocklist but the OFX still wasn't ignored.
[size=85]
Laptop: Intel i7-10750H/32GB/RTX2060-6GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
Windows 10 Home; NVIDIA 536.67 Studio; Resolve+Fusion 18.5

John Tiefenbrunner

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 10:18 am

The "Plugins17.blocklist" seems to be dynamically generated by Fusion (I also tried to put the plugin paths in there and after the next launch of Fusion it again had just the "nil" in there).

So it definitely is the "FusionOFX.blocklist" file that's needed.

You said "I copied the file to FusionOFX.blocklist" - did you make sure it at that point still had the right content?

I would recommend creating the FusionOFX.blocklist from scratch with Notepad or some other plain text editor (to make sure there's no formatting involved), enter the full path of to the plugin (without quotes) and try again.

pinthenet

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 1:04 pm

I just realised I was changinf the Davinci Resolve blocklist and not the Standalone Fusion blocklist, which is in "C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\Plugins17.blocklist"!
It also has quite a different format - this is the initial content:
{
   { "C:/Program Files/Blackmagic Design/Fusion 17/Plugins/Blackmagic/openexr.plugin", 0 },
   { "C:/Program Files/Blackmagic Design/Fusion 17/Plugins/Blackmagic/cinemaraw.plugin", 0 }
}
which I changed to
{
   { "C:/Program Files/Blackmagic Design/Fusion 17/Plugins/Blackmagic/openexr.plugin", 0 },
   { "C:/Program Files/Blackmagic Design/Fusion 17/Plugins/Blackmagic/cinemaraw.plugin", 0 },
   { "C:/Program Files/Common Files/OFX/Plugins/NewBlueFX/Essentials.ofx.bundle", 0 }
}
(Notice '/', not '\'), but it still doesn't work. I also made a "FusionOFX.blocklist" copy but that also doesn't work, maybe I need to use a different prameter than 0? I guess I'll just have to live with the Popup when I start Fusion (or uninstall the plugin - it's not so good anyway)
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 1:42 pm

For me it worked with simply stating the full path for each plugin I want ignored per line. No curly braces, no quotes, no parameters. Simply the full path, one per line.

But that was the file "FusionOFX.blocklist" for Fusion 17, not Resolve, and on Mac.

Does your file for Resolve really work for the OpenEXR and the CinemaRAW plugin? Are at least those really not loaded?

J.

pinthenet

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 2:02 pm

It looks like the Windows installation is quite different to Mac. The 2 plugin files listed in the default Plugins17.blocklist don't actually exist (the cinemaraw.plugin is in a subfolder). As they are part of the Fusion 17 installation and the blocklist is in the Fusion 17 path I assume this won't affect Resolve.
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Holy crap! I just tried it on my MacBook Pro (on which I still have Fusion 16) and it did not work either!!!

I changed the name to "FusionOFX.blacklist" (from "...blocklist" with an O to "...blacklist" with an A) and it worked....

Initially I did it on my Mac Pro with Fusion 17. I will check again with Fusion 17 when I'm back at my MP if it really is different in 17 or if I'm just stupid...

J.

pinthenet

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 3:06 pm

How disappointing - it doesn't work for me. I tried FusionOFX.blacklist & Plugins17.blackist without success. I also removed the existing OFX entries, also no luck, not even an error trying to load the unblocked plugins. If I try to edit/save FusionOFX.blocklist while Fusion is running I gaet an error when saving so FUsion must have the file open?

I think I'll give up
[size=85]

Amir Sharafeh

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 9:44 pm

The blocklist in standalone Fusion 17 doesn't work for me when I put a path inside it. I am on Windows 10 and every time I do and save it and come back to it it's stated "nil" again. Has someone made it work on Windows 10?
I went to the standalone Fusion folders to open the blocklist. Not the Davinci one.

UPDATE
I also did an extra step to make sure my file path is inside even when I open Fusion and doesn't come back as "nil".

I right clicked on "Plugins17.blocklist" and went to "properties". I ticked the box "read only".
This changed the behavior of the file where it WON'T come back "nil" but the pop up remains when opening Fusion with "following OFX failed to load..."

BLACKMAGIC DESIGN: Some help would be appreciated.

freshtc

PostFri May 07, 2021 12:01 am

Confirmed On Windows 10 with Fusion Studio the "blocklist" working properly.

avclubvids wrote:Try changing the name of the file from "FusionOFX.blacklist" to "FusionOFX.blocklist"

Thanks to avclubvids!

Dennis Wiener

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:14 am

FWIW the latest update to BCC Continuum OFX 14.0.3 loads fine for me in Fusion Studio 17.1.1

pinthenet

PostFri May 07, 2021 8:01 am

BLACKMAGIC DESIGN: Some help would be appreciated.

+1
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostSat May 08, 2021 10:22 am

Let me try to sum up my findings regarding the OFX plugin block list file so far:

First of all: This all applies only to the standalone version of Fusion - not the Fusion part inside Resolve!

1. Location of the block list file
----------------------------------

For Fusion 16 and 17 it is

On Mac:
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Profiles/Default

On Windows it seems to be (according to @pinthenet):
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\

2. Filename of the block list file
I can only vouch for Mac but there it is definitely and reproducibly so that

For Fusion 16 it is "FusionOFX.blacklist"
So that's "blacklist" with an "a"!

But for Fusion 17 it is "FusionOFX.blocklist"
So that's "blocklist" with an "o"!

Holy cr....!!

3. Contents of the block list file
- It needs to contain the full path for each plugin file.
- One per line
- No extra stuff like curly braces or any other markup syntax - just the plain path
- For Mac the path is written in standard Unix way (with slashes)
- On Windows I can only assume that it would use the "Driver Letter, Colon, path elements separated by backslash" notation
- Make sure the file really is ASCII only (no formatting, use TextEdit in Plain Text mode on Mac and Notepad on Windows)

Example in Mac:
/Library/OFX/Plugins/Red Giant Universe/Universe_Blur_Blur_Premium_OFX_Fx.ofx.bundle
/Library/OFX/Plugins/Red Giant Universe/Universe_Blur_Compound_Blur_Premium_OFX_Fx.ofx.bundle

pinthenet

PostSun May 16, 2021 1:51 pm

Still no luck on Windows I'm afraid.

BMD could you please explain how OFX blocking can be controlled in Fusion 17 on Windows?
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostSun May 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Can you post the exact path and filename of your block list file and also upload/attach it?
(or at least the first few lines?)

J.

pinthenet

PostSun May 16, 2021 6:20 pm

This is it
(a folder)

That's currently in FusionOFX.blocklist. I've tried with "C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\NewBlueFX\Essentials.ofx.bundle" and with \ & / separators

I also tried Plugin17.blocklist but that just got overwritten with 'nil' when I start Fusion. Using extension .blacklist also doesn't work.

I will probably uninstall the plugin as it doesn't bring much in Resolve anyway, that should solve it.
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostMon May 17, 2021 4:22 pm

And where ist the FusionOFX.blocklist file located in your case (full path)?

pinthenet

PostMon May 17, 2021 4:39 pm

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Profiles\Default

That's also the location of the Plugin17.blocklist file, which gets overwritten with 'nil' by Fusion.
There is also an empty folder Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Defaults: I haven't tried putting the file(s) there yet - the Profiles\Default choice is based on the Mac location
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostMon May 17, 2021 7:02 pm

In my experience that path (or the respective path on Mac) does not work - it's the one that would be correct for Resolve, but for Resolve I never got this blocklist thing to work at all.

The path for Fusion (standalone Fusion app, not the Fusion part inside Resolve) on PC should be more like:

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\FusionOFX.blocklist

That is IF the "Profiles\Default" part is the same on PC as it is on the Mac. If that's the case the "...\Profiles\Default" folder should already exist.

But it should really not be the "...\DaVinci Resolve\..." area.

J.

pinthenet

SOLVED Re: Fusion 17 Blacklist for OFX plugin not working

PostTue May 18, 2021 6:27 am

Oh dear, I'm afraid I had an attack of copy/paste blindness. I copied the wrong path without realising and pasted it without checking. I am indeed using the folder
AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\

I am using standalone Fusion

UPDATE - solved
The plugin path I use to disable is a folder - I just discovered that if I put a trailing '\' on the path the error no longer appears. I thought I'd tried that but obviously not. So simple in the end.

Thanks to all for support and patience
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:26 am

Hey, great to hear it works for you now!

Wow, that trailing backslash is about as weird as the change from blacklist to blocklist in the filename... :?

I just fired up an email to BMD support, pointing to this thread and asking them to please pop in and clarify things a bit (maybe even add it to the documentation? ;) )

I also found a script that can be installed via Reactor ("OFX Blacklist Generator.lua" in the "UI Manager Lua & Pyton Examples" package) - but it seems not to be up to date with Fusion 17 (just also fired a mail to its author to ask).

pinthenet

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:39 am

That's what I thought, though in theory the backslash indicates that it's a folder and not a file, so is sort of 'acceptable'.

The Reactor plugin would be very useful, although I don't plan to install any more OFX plugins. It should however be included in the Fusion preferences.
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostFri May 21, 2021 6:01 am

Some news:
Andrew Hazelden (who created the cool "OFX Blacklist Generator Fusion Script" coming with Reactor - see above) got back to me with some additional info. He also sent an adapted version of the script which I'm checking out right now. I will sum up all the findings again, but first I need to check one thing:

@pinthenet, you mentioned that you needed to add a trailing backslash to the path of your plugin in the blocklist file. From what Andrew wrote I am thinking it might actually be something else that made it work in the end for you: Could you try removing the backslash again but just make sure that the blocklist file has a trailing newline!

That would be more in accordance with other findings so far.

Thx!!
J.
Last edited by John Tiefenbrunner on Fri May 21, 2021 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

John Tiefenbrunner

PostFri May 21, 2021 6:14 am

Also, for people using Andrew's script: He already updated it in Reactor - if you already have installed it, update it and make sure you have v4. The updated version deals with the different filenames in Fusion 9 and 17 correctly.

pinthenet

PostFri May 21, 2021 8:23 am

Could you try removing the backslash again but just make sure that the blocklist file has a trailing newline!

Here you are:
1: Trailing backslash + no newline: OK Plugin ignored
2: Trailing backslash + newline: Doesn't work
3: No backslash + newline: OK
4: No backslash + no newline: Doesn't work

It's one of IT's mysteries that some SW demands a blank line at the end of a file and other SW doesn't work if there is one. Result 2 was a surprise as the path with trailing \ is a valid folder path

PS The Reactor plugin works fine - thanks for the tip John, & thanks for the update Andrew
[size=85]

John Tiefenbrunner

PostFri May 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Great - thx for trying it!
So I will take the "No backslash + newline: OK" for the summary as it corresponds to what Andrew told be and how his plugin does it.

I think we were finally able to solve the mystery :D
Will post a summary ASAP...

John Tiefenbrunner

PostTue May 25, 2021 11:34 am

Final Summary:
(hopefully :))

To make Fusion Studio (standalone verison, not the part in Resolve) ignore and not load certain OFX plugins, do this:

Create a text file (text only! no formatting/fonts - use TextEdit in Plain Text mode on Mac and Notepad on PC) in the folder

for Mac:
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Profiles/Default/

for PC:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\

Name the text file:

"FusionOFX.blacklist" (that is "blacklist" with an "a") for Fusion 16 and below (like e.g. 9)

"FusionOFX.blocklist" (that is "blocklist" with an "o") for Fusion 17 and above

(according to Andrew Hazelden this change was part of a general political correctness overhaul of naming conventions in Fusion...)

In that file place the full path to each OFX plugin you want to be ignored by Fusion.
One path at a line, no extra characters.

Example for Mac:
/Library/OFX/Plugins/Red Giant Universe/Universe_Distort_Camera_Shake_Pro_OFX_Fx.ofx.bundle

Example for PC:

NOTE: As usual, use backslashes om Windows and slashes on Unix/macOS

IMPORTANT: Make sure the file ends with an empty line (has a trailing newline - kudos to Andrew for that hint!)

If you don't want to mess with all that:

Simply use Andrew Hazelden's "OFX Blacklist Generator Fusion Script" that comes with "UI Manager Lua & Pyton Examples" package in Rector.
For Reactor, see:
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... php?t=1775

pinthenet

PostTue May 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Thanks for putting the summary together John, it looks good.

John
[size=85]

Kel Philm

PostTue May 25, 2021 8:32 pm

So we now have to use 'Blocklist' for the PC, what about the non-PC?

John Tiefenbrunner

PostWed May 26, 2021 7:27 am

"FusionOFX.blacklist" (that is "blacklist" with an "a") for Fusion 16 and below (like e.g. 9)
"FusionOFX.blocklist" (that is "blocklist" with an "o") for Fusion 17 and above

This is true for Windows, macOS and (presumably but not tested) Linux

knejmann

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 8:34 pm

Hi,

If any windows users out there need to create a .blocklist these PowerShell commands might help.
Disclaimer: Do use at your own risk. No guarantees!

Get a list of all .bundle files in Common Files -> OFX -> Plugins:
(Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\" -Recurse -Include *.bundle).fullname

Get the list directly into the clipboard:
(Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\" -Recurse -Include *.bundle).fullname | Set-Clipboard

Create the file if it does not exist:
if (Test-Path (Join-Path  $env:APPDATA\ "\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\FusionOFX.blocklist")) {write-host "File exists - open it manually to edit."} else {new-item (Join-Path  $env:APPDATA\ "\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\FusionOFX.blocklist")}

Open the directory where the .blocklist should go:
start (Join-Path  $env:APPDATA\ "\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\")

You must edit the blocklist file and insert the list yourself. Remember a blank line at the bottom.

John Tiefenbrunner

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 pm

Great stuff - thx! :mrgreen:

And something comparable for macOS:

Put a list of all .bundle files directly onto clipboard:
find /Library/OFX/Plugins -name '*.bundle' | pbcopy

Write the list directly into the block list file for Fusion 17 and above:
(find /Library/OFX/Plugins -name '*.bundle'; echo '') >~/Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Fusion/Profiles/Default/FusionOFX.blocklist

Yannick Tholomier

PostWed Mar 09, 2022 10:44 pm

Another thing:

be sure that your plugin folder is names "OFX" in upper-case letters...

Plugins works in "ofx" folder but the OFX Blocker file do not accept any path with it in lower-case letter!

John Tiefenbrunner

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 8:51 am

Thanks Yannick!

Just a little follow-up to clarify: It does not matter whether the actual folder on disk is named in upper or lower case letters. The important thing is to have the folder name in the blocklist file listed in uppercase letters ("OFX", not "ofx") - independent of the case of the actual folder name! Yes, it is that weird :)

J.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSun May 15, 2022 12:08 am

Thanks for the help!

I added the root path of the C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\Red Giant Universe\ - And FINALLY I don't have these errors anymore

(I'm on 18)
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

John Tiefenbrunner

PostSun May 15, 2022 11:01 am

Hey Maxwellx,

does that mean that you did not have to add each plugin one by one but only had to add the path of that one folder?

J.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSun May 15, 2022 6:57 pm

John Tiefenbrunner wrote:Hey Maxwellx,

does that mean that you did not have to add each plugin one by one but only had to add the path of that one folder?

J.

Fortunately yes :D - I was ready to add the 80 plugins but I tested with the "root" path first.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

John Tiefenbrunner

PostFri May 20, 2022 6:55 am

Great!

Unfortunately this does not work in Fusion 17 :|

One more reason to upgrade ;)

Return to Fusion