Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

fusion loaders and saver hangs for 20s

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

nic_hamilton

fusion loaders and saver hangs for 20s

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 am

I have been using F16 studio recently on a new set up and its got insanely slow and is driving me crazy
when ever i add a loader or saver or try to navigate to footage the UI hangs for 20-30s which is really slowing down my work.

I am on a 2990wx with 2080 and Win 10 and have also tried it on a 3970x with a 3090 and both have the same issues.

Footage is exr sequences mainly and NOT coming from a network drive, its coming from a local D drive (Samsung 970 SSD) I do however have a local network that has a Synology NAS attached for backup purposes.

I have cleared the %appdata% default folder a number or times and ran a LUA script to remove previous recent projects but have run out of ideas.

Any assistance would be great

link to thread with those scripts
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=63270

UserNoah

Re: fusion loaders and saver hangs for 20s

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am

From my own experience I believe that Fusion will wait for all drives to respond before opening the file browser. If you disable all drives except the SSD it will most likely open much faster.
I also wish that this would be different because my slow HDDs that I use for backups also make Fusion hang for quite some time when I drop down a Loader. Maybe Blackmagic can change that behaviour but I wouldn't hold my breath.

nic_hamilton

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 am

ah interesting.
that seems like a buig that needs fixing - i dont recall it being a problem on versions 7-9 ?

many people must have some slower storage connected to their local networks. i cant really disconnect my other drives and computers as a lot of assets from my 3d software are linked to it.

can anyone from blackmagic comment on thsi? ill pay $1000 to have it fixed im desperate :lol: :cry:

nic_hamilton

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 am

nic_hamilton wrote:ah interesting.
that seems like a buig that needs fixing - i dont recall it being a problem on versions 7-9 ?

many people must have some slower storage connected to their local networks. i cant really disconnect my other drives and computers as a lot of assets from my 3d software are linked to it.

Is this something that can be set in prefs anywhere?

can anyone from blackmagic comment on thsi? ill pay $1000 to have it fixed im desperate :lol: :cry:

daniel.koch

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 pm

We've seen delays in the past when Fusion attempts to locate network paths that are no longer accessible. I would suggest clearing the file requester's history and bookmarks, to see if that helps. Paste the following into the console:
Code: Select all
fu:SetPrefs("Global.FileReq", {}); fu:SavePrefs()
If that doesn't help, you could try reverting to the system file requester:
Code: Select all
fu:SetPrefs("Global.FileReq.CustomDialogs", false); fu:SavePrefs()
You can use true in the above line instead of false to reinstate Fusion's own file requester.

Bryan Ray

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 12:10 am

For your convenience, there's a script in Reactor that deletes the file requester history. It's called, appropriately, DeleteFileRequesterHistory. It'll also clear the most recently used file from several other places, like the FBX Import and FileLUT nodes, among others.

Also, watch the free space on whichever drive you use for caching. Fusion's not always great at cleaning up after itself, so sometimes you have to delete caches yourself. A full cache drive will also cause slowdowns of that kind.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

rengel

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 3:27 pm

I did run into the same thing from time to time with diferent versions and it would be great to have a script for that executable from File > Script to ease this step, but I'm going to remmber the solutions anyway..
Rainer M. Engel
scientific|Media imageLAB Berlin, Germany

Bryan Ray

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 3:51 pm

You can move or copy DeleteFileRequesterHistory.lua from Scripts/Comp/MuseVFX to Scripts/Utility. That will put it in the File > Script menu. Now that you mention it, that would have been a better place to put it to start with.

To quickly get to the Reactor folder where it's installed, click Reactor > Tools > Show Reactor Folder, then browse to Deploy/Scripts
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion