Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Images in Fusion appear different in Edit/Colour Page

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Alex Cameron

Images in Fusion appear different in Edit/Colour Page

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Hi All

Really hoping for a little help here as going round in circles trying to figure this one out. There have been some similar articles on the forum already but I am struggling to find the answer to my query.

So I have a project that is currently in DaVinci YRGB Color Managed and I'm using the DaVinci Wide Gamut as the preset. The output colour space is Rec.709-A although the same issue happens in Rec 709 Gamma 2.4.

I'm using a Fusion Composition Effect and building a custom title sequence. I add a background and change the colour to the preferred choice. Immediately the colour is not right. In the colour picker window in the inspector, I can see the correct colour but the viewer is lighter and less saturated. The LUT icon is on in the top right corner of the viewer, I haven't turned this on. It's set to - Fusion View LUT. When I turn this icon off, I see the correct colour represented in the viewer.

When I flick back to the edit page there is a noticeable difference between the clip in the Edit page viewer and the Fusion page viewer. Regardless of the toggled status of the LUT icon for the viewer, the result is still very different and not correct (or how I want it to appear).

How can set things up so that what I see in Fusion is what I see in the Edit page i.e. my desired look/result?

Do I have to change the colour space of the Background tool/node in Fusion? If so, what am I setting this to? sRGB?

I thought that in Davinci Resolve 17 the Bypass Colour Management option could be used to get around issues like this by simply disabling colour management for that clip, in this case, the Fusion one. That doesn't;t seem to do anything until I turn it into a compound clip and then it does have an effect although still not right and also this feels a little unrefined.

I watched Bernad's tutorial (https://vfxstudy.com/tutorials/rcm-and-fusion/) on Linear Workflow with Resolve Color Management and I think this is the closest I have been to understanding it but still not fixing the issue.

I'd be really grateful if someone could explain this to me as it's proving to be a real-time sapper trying to work it out by myself. I'm clearly not doing something correctly due to my own ignorance so any help will be gratefully received,

Thank You.
Alex
Current system:
MacPro 2019
3.2GHz 16‑core Intel Xeon W processor
96GB (6x16GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
4TB SSD storage
Radeon Pro Vega II Duo with 2x32GB of HBM2 memory
External Storage: Lacie 12Big 48TB RAID via Thunderbolt3
Ventura 13.5 (Current OS)

UserNoah

Re: Images in Fusion appear different in Edit/Colour Page

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Not sure if this is the same but I had similar issues with Davincis Fusion Page when using ACES (or any other "Managed" color space).
It took me quite some time to figure this out because I am used to the simple color management in Fusion Studio. Using Resolve Fusion was more or less a test.

Unfortunately, every time I restarted Resolve it would add the "Managed" viewer LUT which was wrong for ACES cg as it wasn't the ACES LUT but a Gamut Transform from Linear to sRGB.
So every new day I had to disable the Managed viewer LUT in each Fusion comp I worked on and add the correct ACES cg to Output-sRGB LUT. Even a preset I made only added the Output-sRGB LUT on top of the "Managed" LUT. No matter how often I saved it without the "Managed" LUT.

Maybe this is similar for you.
I switched my project back to Fusion standalone because I was going mad with Resolves behavior.

But try clicking on the arrow next to the viewer LUT icon and choose "Edit". Now you should see a window with the currently active viewer LUTs. Most likely there will be the "Managed" LUT. Disable that one and add the correct LUT for your project that will display your linear Fusion comp in the Output that you need. This should then be the same for the Fusion page and the other pages.

I'm not saying that there is something fundamentally broken with Resolves Managed Colorspaces as it could be user error on my part, but so far I was always better of, disabling any footage assumptions that I can disable. I never had a project where everything was in the same Colorspace or the software always interpreted it correctly. But because Resolve reinterprets every composition on each restart it was more cumbersome than in other softwares.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 3:17 pm

UserNoah wrote:I'm not saying that there is something fundamentally broken with Resolves Managed Colorspaces as it could be user error on my part, but so far I was always better of, disabling any footage assumptions that I can disable. I never had a project where everything was in the same Colorspace or the software always interpreted it correctly. But because Resolve reinterprets every composition on each restart it was more cumbersome than in other softwares.

It is broken, whether fundamentally or just practically, we’ll see when v17 goes gold. If it is just an error they fix at least some of it for v17. If it stays, it is a fundamental misdesign of color management system, ironic given that Resolve is still a major color grading software. Since any thread mentioning ACES or some other color managed system error in ReFusion is practically guaranteed to not get any answer from BMD whatsoever I’m inclined towards it being by design and BMD is perfectly happy with how it works.
I do stuff.

Robin Doelly

PostSat May 01, 2021 11:32 pm

I have been struggling with this issue ever since color managed came out. I find the lack of transparent connection to the development team really frustrating. Originally BM support seemed to think it was a small hiccup, but now I am led to believe that it is a fundamental mismatch on the different softwares that make Davinci and the different beginnings that the softwares had. It seems illogical to be when clearly the correct colour transform does get applied when you flip into the edit page, yet whilst working in the Fusion page it doesn't / can't be done. Also strange when you consider that Fusion is promoted as a tool to use for film vfx plates. I have asked BMD if they could at least supply a color transform node to use just as a spurious node for viewing on the broadcast out viewer that you could attach and not in line wide the media out node.

So BMD could you do that as workaround? Surly many people must be finding this to be a massive issue - for sure it is for me

Any thoughts here BMD ?

Robin

_celko

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:35 am

This is indeed quite big of a problem, got many repeating weekly projects where color management really comes in handy, but I'm also using a few of the Fusion title presets in the edit page. Impossible to display correct colors without doing major workarounds or for now, just disabling color management.

The color of the title is indeed right in the Fusion page and wrong in the edit and other pages. If only the right click/Bypass color management would work on a fusion clip... please @Blackmagic, just this little button working?

*Not fixed with 17.4. released today (even though they did bring the position keyframe smoothing to edit page, something I've been praying for for 3 years now. Meaning - there's still hope in the next 3 years for the color management bugs to get fixed :) )

arconz

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 4:46 am

I've just come across this issue & it still isn't fixed. I'm still relatively new to Resolve Studio but was quite shocked to find out Fusion does not have color management support... adding any effects like glows etc in Fusion doesn't seem possible right now as they look completely different in the Edit page :/
Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB DDR4-3600, 2x2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD, RTX 3060 12GB

brunocbreis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:07 pm

I had this issue too. I (think I) fixed it by adding a color space transform node either before Media Out, or in the color page, setting the output gamma to “linear”
But it’s still really annoying because I expected the “bypass color managing button” to work and it didn’t
Mac Studio (2022)
M1 Max 64GB
DVR / Fusion Studio 18.6

SebKaine

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 7:58 am

i am happy to see that i was not alone on this boat, cause i bang my head a lot to solve this issue.

well indeed the managed ACES workflow is broken, and whatever you do i am afraid there is no FIX at the moment. You will have to modify the viewer LUT in fusion each time you open a viewer.

BUT the good news, is that there is a workable way to work in ACES in davinci. i describe my process here :
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=182949

basically you need to stick with the davinci basic workflow and stay away of ACES cc or cct in project settings. Then you set your viewer properly in Fusion and you do the transform with ACES transform node in the color grade. It's not straightforward, especially for people that has no background in pro grading / editing , and that come from a VFX background. But it work 100%.

Return to Fusion