Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Open Files takes forever

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

nilsarne

Open Files takes forever

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi, whenever I try to use open file, or anything that uses the open file window, Fusion freezes for 20-30 seconds. I have tried whatever I found online to fix this but it seems to still be a problem. If I restart the machine "sometimes" fusion works fine again, but then will revert to this problem.
I have tried to uninstall all the reactors i had and rename the .prefs file to get a new one, but it didnt work. I have 3 fusions installed (well I just uninstalled v16) and all of them have the same problem. Its v9,16 and 17.
Please help with some solutions to this. It feels like its a timeout that fusion is waiting for something but I havent any usb drives or network servers setup so im not sure what else to try.

Nils

UserNoah

Re: Open Files takes forever

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 am

Fusion will wait for all drives to respond before opening the files window. I also noticed that it's slower than it is in F9 but until it opens the window it will freeze.
I have 2 SSD and 2 slowish HDD in my build and for me it's definitely the 2 HDD drives that make Fusion freeze while waiting for the "Open files" window. I don't think there is a lot you can do besides forcing the drives in your system to always spin and thus being faster to access. But that could potentially negatively impact their lifetime.

dziey3

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 1:48 am

I am also having this problem. My best guess is that it's also scanning network locations, I'm not connected to our work network servers right now since I'm working remotely and the amount of time it freezes is about the same amount of time it freezes (trying to connect) if I try to open the network drive in Explorer.

It would be nice to have a way to exclude certain drives from this initial scan. It seems to happen when adding a Loader node too.

Bryan Ray

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Try the DeleteFileRequesterHistory script available in Reactor. If you've ever loaded an asset from a network location, the reference to it is still in the requester histories. Deleting the history should prevent Fusion from stopping to wait for unavailable locations.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

nilsarne

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 8:22 am

This is something that has happenede within the last month. Fusion did not react like this before. Its not the waiting for network drives and i have tried the deletefilerequest script. What happens when I press the open file node (or any node that has to do with files) is that the program waits for some seconds, then the whole interface flashes for a millisecond and then the file window appear. Im wondering if it has something to do with windows because my windows has been acting weird also. Sluggish thumbnail updates, file explorer being slow... so it might have a connection. BUT its only Fusion that has this waiting for the file window to appear problem. No other program acts like this.
What is fusion depending on to open files... is there a specific set of dll libraries... does it use windows default window file programming or has that been made from bottom up. I have tried to re-install, but same issues. AND it happens in both version 9, 16 and 17 so its a problem they all share.

Bryan Ray

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Is one or more of your drives too full?

You can try switching to the Windows file requester instead of Fusion's by pasting the following line in the Console:

fusion:SetPrefs{["Global.FileReq.CustomDialogs"]= false}

To change back to the Fusion file requester, change the 'false' to 'true'.
There really ought to be a switch for that in the Preferences dialog so I don't have to look it up in the VFXpedia archive every time…
Bryan Ray

Jaime Herke

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 12:43 pm

We moved file storage and it caused massive slowdowns when the history was trying to access the old shares.

Open the fusion.prefs file in a text editor and remove all the history bits you find (make sure to check all the file for paths as some are at the bottom)

Bryan Ray

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 5:42 pm

That's exactly what the script mentioned earlier does. Except it doesn't risk trimming or leaving an errant comma or bracket.

If you do edit the prefs file manually, you have to do so when Fusion isn't running because the preferences are loaded into RAM and are rewritten when Fusion closes, which will erase your edits.
Bryan Ray

Felice

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 9:53 pm

I had the same issue. Tried the script, did not work. The problem was an unconnected network drive. As soon as I ejected it the problem with long loading times was gone.

Return to Fusion