Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Free vs Fusion Studio comparison chart?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ladlon

Fusion Free vs Fusion Studio comparison chart?

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 4:37 am

I've been checking out the comparison chart on the Blackmagic site, and only later realized it was comparing Resolve (with integrated Fusion) vs Fusion Studio.

I have the free version of Fusion (9), so I was curious if there is a coparison chart between it and Fusion Studio, so I can see what I gain from buying Fusion Studio (as far as features that are not in the free version).

Also...

Am I right in thinking that the free version of Resolve can render a 4k Fusion project? Would I be able to install the free Resolve and import my free Fusion project to render it in 4k?

Bryan Ray

Re: Fusion Free vs Fusion Studio comparison chart?

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 5:26 pm

There used to be a feature comparison chart, but it seems to have vanished. Maybe they never made a pdf. From memory, the features you get in Studio that aren't in the free version…

High-resolution rendering, up to 32k
Unlimited render nodes and render manager
OFX plugins
Native plug-ins built using the Fusion SDK (Krokodove)
Optical Flow tools*
Stereo disparity tools*
External scripting access
3D CameraTracker
PlanarTracker
Licensed ProRes export (interactive only)
Virtual Reality HMD support
Spherical Camera
Spherical Stabilizer
maybe some other panorama tools like the LatLong Patcher; I don't recall

*These features are available in the free version of Resolve 15, but not the free version of Fusion 9. I think the Planar and Camera trackers, and possibly the panorama tools, are also in Resolve 15 free, but I'm not certain about that.

There are probably some other things, but that's everything I remember off the top of my head.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.musevfx.com

ladlon

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Awesome. Thanks for that, Bryan Ray. I really appreciate all your help so far.

Ya, that sounds about right, from what I remember back when I first got Fusion9.

That's one of the reasons I didn't bother getting studio, as none of those features was really anything I needed (...either I didn't do that sort of thing, or I had other dedicated software for it already).

It's funny, that's sort of the same story with Resolve. I have the free version (14, I think... the last one to support Win7).... and the features for Studio also were nothing I needed.

At this point, really it was the 4k rendering... and that's only because of this current job.

Actually, I solved the current problem by doing my comp work in AfterEffects for this one... Problem solved. I'm still considering getting the dongle/Fusion Studio.... maybe later, though. Aside from the 4k rendering (and maybe the GPU render stuff, which I could only use once I upgrade my O/S), there was nothing really for me, as far as I could see. I've got several tracking programs, I don't do 3D... So, who knows. I AM nervous about Fusion's future. As you know, I have had other software suddenly stop support/updates after I adopted them, so I'm a bit hesitant to throw money at uncertain things while 'times are a bit tough'...

I'm going to keep watching the talk about things, and see...

Frank Engel

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 4:47 pm

If you have a Resolve Studio dongle it will unlock Fusion Studio 16 as well.

With Studio 17 (currently in beta) they are adding support for the Resolve unlocking codes (the non-dongle, non-app-store versions) as well.

wfolta

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 5:16 pm

ladlon wrote:Am I right in thinking that the free version of Resolve can render a 4k Fusion project? Would I be able to install the free Resolve and import my free Fusion project to render it in 4k?

I believe that's correct. Resolve Studio version isn't required to do 4K. (I think it's required for 16K and higher, but can't remember.) The upside is you can try it for free.

The downside is that Resolve adds overhead versus Fusion Studio (i.e. extra RAM, slower startup). The upside is that Resolve has access to features that Fusion Studio doesn't. (Not in Resolve's Fusion, but in Resolve Color, etc.) The main thing I can think of is a Resolve Studio feature (Magic Mask), but I think there are such things in free Resolve.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Return to Fusion