Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

help on how to bucket fill individual clips.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mocean_inc

help on how to bucket fill individual clips.

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Hello, I am currently working on a greenscreen project, where many of the colors are very similar to each other so simple color deletes/swaps using chroma key or other measures will not work. What I have been doing in the past was using color fill to color the background as much as I could, and eventually just color in the rest with multistroke frame per frame.

Normally I split several places within the same video and each clip would act as their own thus allowing me to color fill to greater extent and less work using multistroke frame per frame.

My problem is that recently when I go into fusion it seems as if my whole video is one and it is not separating it as individual clips, so when I use the FILL option to the new clip im working on it colors into all of my other video clips not just my desired clip. This would in return cause me to have to redo many of the frames I have already completed.

Does anyone know how to be able to fill (bucket fill) individual clips not the whole video.

Thank you so much in advance.

Sander de Regt

Re: help on how to bucket fill individual clips.

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 am

2 questions

1) are you talking about Fusion in Resolve? Because that's the only way I imagine you can 'split' the video in seperate clips. As far as I know you can still work with seperate Fusion clips inside of Resolve, so I don't know what steps you have taken that you can no longer do this. You should be able to select a clip and make a Fusion clip out of it to work on.

2) Can you describe or show a picture of what it is you're trying to do?
Because honestly I have no idea what you mean by
where many of the colors are very similar to each other so simple color deletes/swaps using chroma key or other measures will not work.

What are you trying to fill? The background? The foreground? Are you trying to create an animated look?
I have no idea why you'd want to fill/bucket fill a clip, so please elaborate on your use case, so we can help you better.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Mocean_inc

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Yes Fusion Resolve. So I am currently working on editing a video for my kids during a family trip and adding Disney characters to it. I have done this in the past with success, I just dont know why half of the new clips are bleeding through to the other clips (I seperated the film for this reason to only work on certain clips at a time), here is the example of pictures.

This is one example where it works well, the red mark is showing the frame I am currently working on within the two yellow lines that indicate the clip size.
clip3 example 2.PNG

so when I move the mouse to a frame outside of the clip the screen goes blank as it should here is a picture:
clip 3 example 1.PNG

Now when I go to work on the next clip for this example I paint filled it in white:
clip 5 example 4.PNG

When I move the frames to outside of the clip frame length it bleeds over you will see in my following post how my red line indicator is past the clip range and it has turned the rest of the frames white.

Mocean_inc

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Here is the following frame example:

I have noticed that on the bottom of the screen where it shows my clips, the ones that work as they should have the clip lengths in blue, the clips that do not work as they should have the clip lengths labeled in red. I suspect that has something to do with it.

I also did notice as I was making these example pictures that for some reason those red clips when I paint filled it in white it colored the whole movie but not the clips I have in blue... I am beginning to think they are acting as if they are not part of the same video that I clipped? so if I paint say clip 5, the scenes that are shown in would be clip 3 would be painted in white, but when I click on clip 3 there is no white, So I'm thinking each clip that has the length labeled in red is actually the whole movie itself but just shows me where the yellow indicators where it was clipped? sorry I can not explain this last part any better.

here are examples notice the frame is 56536 on both clips labeled 3 and 5 I am beginning to suspect that is where the problem is, is there another tool I should have used to separate the video so it didn't do this?
Last edited by Mocean_inc on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 4:41 pm

This is a very-very specific use case. I don't think there's anything you're doing wrong per se, but I personally would skip the part where you make it green to key out later and just go straight for a matte control with various wandmasks and potentially a mask paint to iron out the details.

Apart from that, I think you might want to contact Blackmagic if you can reproduce this, maybe even with a screen recording so they can follow your steps. Also: post this in the Resolve 17 beta forum, because it's something you're encountering in the current beta. This way your posts will get more exposure and thus the problem is more likely to be fixed (if it's indeed a software issue)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion