Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Relinking Media in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

brunocbreis

Relinking Media in Fusion

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 2:30 pm

I created a rig for animating a character in fusion which consisted of around 10 pngs. I imported them directly to a fusion comp, by dragging them from the media pool (so they become “MediaIn” nodes).

When I then exported the bin which contained the comps, the pngs and the timelines and opened it up in another project, everything went offline. I’m in the same computer and hard drive, btw, nothing changed.

DVR’s “relink” just does not work, it seems to not communicate with fusion. The only solution I found was to individually replace each MediaIn by dragging the pngs again from the Media Pool... like, seriously? Hahahaha is there not a better way????
Mac Studio (2022)
M1 Max 64GB
DVR / Fusion Studio 18.6

Scotty Why

Re: Relinking Media in Fusion

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 4:02 pm

I have your solution: Loader Nodes

I had this same problem, it was driving me crazy. Just found out about Loader Nodes. So apparently, the ironically named "MediaIn" node has no idea what the actual media is, so if it is connected to a file, it loses track of it constantly. Loader nodes allow you to tell Fusion the specific file you are using.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of - a media node that has no idea what media is, AND it is the default node. WTF Black Magic? Why isn't the loader the default? When I drag a file into Fusion why automatically create a node that is definitely, DEFINITELY, gong to lose track of my media? Do you hate us? I think you must hate us.
DR Studio 18 Win10 22H2
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM
GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Studio driver 31.0.15.3161
OS,Program: 1TB SSD - Media: 1TB SSD - Cache: 1TB SSD

Frank Engel

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 7:04 pm

Loader nodes are the traditional interface to accessing media files in Fusion.

MediaIn nodes were added to the version of Fusion integrated into Resolve for accessing media from the media pool or a timeline as opposed to accessing files directly the way that "real" Fusion (the standalone version) does.

To relink media which is accessed via MediaIn nodes you should probably be on the Media page in Resolve.

TheBloke

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 7:47 pm

Scotty Why wrote:I have your solution: Loader Nodes

I had this same problem, it was driving me crazy. Just found out about Loader Nodes. So apparently, the ironically named "MediaIn" node has no idea what the actual media is, so if it is connected to a file, it loses track of it constantly. Loader nodes allow you to tell Fusion the specific file you are using.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of - a media node that has no idea what media is, AND it is the default node. WTF Black Magic? Why isn't the loader the default? When I drag a file into Fusion why automatically create a node that is definitely, DEFINITELY, gong to lose track of my media? Do you hate us? I think you must hate us.
Are you copying Fusion compositions between different projects?

If so that would explain you constantly seeing MediaIn losing connection to your media, as the MediaIn node references media by a database ID unique to the current project.

If you're not copying comps between projects then this shouldn't be happening - in which case you should post more details of exactly what you're doing.

If you're referring to importable templates/bundles, then there's a way to reference media that comes with the template/bundle - see my response in your other thread regarding the Setting:\ pathmap.

Yes, Loader nodes are preferable whenever one is using still images, including footage saved as an image sequence (EXR, DPX, PNG, etc). It refers to media directly by its filename and path, so this always works for as long as the path is valid. It can also significantly increase performance in certain situations (more details here: Fusion page: Major performance issue with MediaIn v Loader)

However the Resolve Loader node has been crippled such that it cannot open video footage (H264/ProRes/DNxHR etc). So one has to use MediaIn in that scenario. And to be fair that should work fine, so long as you remember how MediaIn nodes work and what exactly they're referring to.

MediaIn nodes are of course required in situations where one wants Fusion compositions to reference Edit media - which IMHO is the major benefit of Fusion's integration into Resolve.

Last year I wrote a length summary of the different kinds of Fusion compositions, how their MediaIn nodes access media, and how those compositions are stored within a Resolve project. You might find it useful: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=120441#p662597
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

dkg876

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:22 am

I am attempting to copy the fusion project into another project. Is there a way to relink the media? I have tried replacing the media in the mediaIn nodes and it still shows as media offline.

TCP786

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 3:55 am

I'm basically not certain about any of this, so take it with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth... Are you trying to copy a Fusion composition into a Resolve project? I pretty much only use Fusion in Resolve, but if I remember correctly, MediaIn nodes are only part of the Fusion page in Resolve and not part of Fusion itself, which is why I'm guessing that's what you're trying to do. If so, are you adding the clips to the Resolve media pool first? Being from the standalone version of Fusion, Loader nodes are not designed with the media pool in mind, but MediaIn nodes (built for the Resolve workflow as opposed to Fusion Studio) don't work with files outside of the media pool. So if you're used to Fusion Studio and are moving over to Resolve, that would be a very reasonable mistake to make. Again, I'm not 100% sure I'm right about that, but if do happen to be remembering all of this correctly, the way to migrate a Fusion composition into a Resolve project would be as follows:

-Add your Fusion composition to the Resolve project (either by putting the .comp file into the media pool and then into a timeline; or by creating a Fusion clip in a timeline, opening it in the Fusion page, and then importing the .comp file from there)

-Add all your video clips to the Resolve project's media pool, then put them into the Fusion composition from there as MediaIn nodes.

-Replace the Loader nodes that contain video clips with the new MediaIn nodes that contain the media pool version of the clips.

-Do NOT do that with the Loader nodes that contain images.

-Add any images to the Fusion composition using Loader nodes - no need to put them into the media pool first, just tell the Loader nodes where the appropriate images are located on disc. Just to be safe, I'd make new Loader nodes, point them to the appropriate images, and then swap them out with the old ones, just in case they include some unique metadata from the old Fusion project that might make it break for some reason you have no way of knowing about.

-Post again here and wait for someone who knows more than me (TheBloke) to respond instead. Haha.

Once again, I'm not 100% sure on any of this, since I've actually never moved a composition over to Resolve from Fusion, but this is the first way I would try to do it based on what I do understand.

Return to Fusion