Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 17 Major bug with image sequences

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Zeke Faust

Fusion 17 Major bug with image sequences

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 pm

I'm having a big issue with Fusion Studio. I import an EXR sequence, everything's in order.

Restart fusion, suddenly the first few frames are offline, and the whole thing has been offset a few frames into the timeline (despite the timeline displaying the start of the loader at 0).

Refreshing the loader doesn't work, I have to create a brand new loader and select the footage, or drag in the footage from explorer. Only then does it go back to normal.

This really needs to be addressed, as projects with many loaders and sequences will need to be completely re-imported every time Fusion is started.
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

UserNoah

Re: Fusion 17 MAJOR BUG with image sequences

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 7:33 am

I think I'm suffering from this as well. But in my case it seems like it can't update the exr sequence even if I disable and enable the loader again.
For example, I have a 3D animation that I comp into footage with 100 frames. I assemble everything and know it works for the next 100 frame, too. I set the length in the loader manually to 200 frames.
Then put the rest of the animation into the deadline render queue, then the Fusion comp. No matter what I do, Fusion will not recognize the image sequence after the initial 100 frames. Even if I set the "Missing images " mode to Wait. Then it will wait indefinitely.

If I open the project now, even disabling and enabling the loader won't show me the new frames. Selecting "Autodetect framerange" will usually work in that it correctly detects the number of frames, but the loader itself won't load any images after the initial 100.
The only solution so far is creating a new loader and having all animations already completely rendered before starting in Fusion. Which is sad because it completely destroys the ideas behind manually changing the Loaders length or using the Wait mode.

I wasn't able to confidently reproduce this yet or I would've sent a bug report already.

And this won't be an issue with deadline as A) it happens in Fusion 17 without ever touching deadline in a project and B) Deadline simply triggers the native Fusion Render node.

Ian Duncan

Re: Fusion 17 Major bug with image sequences

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:16 pm

This is still broken in 17.2

My EXRs are 2 frames off after the file is saved. This took a huge amount of time to troubleshoot and caused lots off issues.

Going back to Fusion 16 which does not have the issue.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers,

Ian

Machine:
Custom Built Win10 Pro
Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512 for OS and 2TB for cache
128gb DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU
External black magic Decklink 4k through thunderbolt 3
10GBE Nic

Ian Duncan

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:31 pm

Where does one submit a bug report for this?
Cheers,

Ian

Machine:
Custom Built Win10 Pro
Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512 for OS and 2TB for cache
128gb DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU
External black magic Decklink 4k through thunderbolt 3
10GBE Nic

UserNoah

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:38 pm

I'm still having issues as well. In some image sequences F17 will work fine when I load them in. But the next time I open the file it will not load the first few frames until I hit the "Browse" button again and reselect the file..
I've noticed that this often happens with files that have long names with a lot of numbers in them. Which are pretty much all the files I get from clients when I'm working on a TV series for example.

The issue with only accepting files "that exist" is also still there. That was one of the many reasons I've gone back to F16. I often have to make changes to a 3D animation but it doesn't impact the comp too much, so I set the loader from V1 to V2 for example even though the images don't exist yet. But in 9 and 16 it doesn't matter if they do. If I manually set start frame and length of the clips. Then I can schedule the render from 3D and after that the Fusion comp and in the morning everything is ready. Doesn't work in F17.
Last edited by UserNoah on Sat May 15, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UserNoah

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:41 pm

Ian Duncan wrote:Where does one submit a bug report for this?
If you can reliably reproduce the bug, you should use the form from their support page. Depending on the country you're from you'll get a message back from the closest Blackmagic office.

In my case it was always necessary to send a video, a detailed description, a comp file that shows the issue, a DxDiag file which contains all system information about hard and software and it seems like they NEED a resolve log. It doesn't matter if it's Fusion Studio only.

Emilio Sapia

PostSat May 15, 2021 8:29 pm

Me too i had the same issue. Missing exactly 4 frames.
My first guess was it being a naming issue. But if you tell me this it must be something else.

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:36 am

Zeke / Noah,

Could you please help send us a sample .comp which can show this issue? You can pm me if you like.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

UserNoah

PostWed May 19, 2021 10:21 am

I sent a PM

Zeke Faust

PostWed May 19, 2021 9:16 pm

Also sent a PM
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

UserNoah

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm

This seems fixed in 17.2.1 along with some other annoying bugs! Very cool and thanks!

Zeke Faust

PostSat Jun 05, 2021 7:48 am

Just noticed the fix as well! Thanks to everyone at Blackmagic for listening to users and taking care of this so quickly.
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Return to Fusion