Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

New user - recommended settings?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Pedro Dias

New user - recommended settings?

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 5:05 am

Hello all.
I am pushing the limits of what Fusion in DR 17 can do and was recommended on Discord to try out the Fusion Studio 17 as it would "utilize the hardware better".

My system is running Windows 10
- Amd ThreadRipper 3970X (32-core)
- 128 GB RAM
- single NVidia GeForce RTX 2080ti / 11GB (Latest studio driver)
- All M2 drives, the fast ones

Here are my findings:
- Out of the box, rendering particles is choppy and laggy. A simple pEmitter + a pRenderer on the screen appears to lag. In contrast, in Fusion/DR, I can add pDirectionalForce and pBounce while the loop is active and get realtime feedback on all changes. This is not even close to the case in Fusion Studio 17

- I couldn't load up any DJI Mavic or GoPro footage with the loader (Solved by installing an opensource plugin named "Reactor")

- Camera Tracking is NOTICEABLY slower, with frames stepping at close to 1 second/frame during tracking. This is "realtime" in Fusion/DR. I can see the mapreduce happening on my 32 cores when I apply "Resolve" to a track, but it still takes longer than in Fusion DR on my test clip.

- Manipulating 3d objects is laggy/choppy overall.

Assumption
Because I am completely new to Fusion Studio 17, I assume that there are some settings I need to get right in order to see the promised performance over Fusion/DR. I have searched extensively on the internet for recommendations, but found none.

I am not after the final tweaks to squeeze 1-2% more out of Fusion Studio. I need the very basic settings for seeing the performance boost over Fusion/DR that it promises.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your suggestions.
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Return to Fusion