Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Big size jpeg gets smaller in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

JulienFo

Big size jpeg gets smaller in Fusion

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 10:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a problem with Fusion in Da Vinci Resolve.
I work with jpeg files that are 4240 x 2832 px. I have absolutely no problem importing them in the edit table since they are automatically resized to fit the frame (with black spaces on both sides but that's expected). I can just adjust the size afterwards in color, that's not a problem at all.
However, when I try to edit the jpeg files in Fusion, the picture takes only a portion of the frame, with empty canvas space all around. And when I try to import in the edit table the picture processed in Fusion, it is still the small version exactly as it appears in the preview window of Fusion.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Julien
Last edited by JulienFo on Thu May 13, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UserNoah

Re: Big size jpeg gets smaller in Fusion

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 8:44 am

You probably need to use a Loader instead the media in, to bypass the weird scaling and resolution changes that Resolve Fusion does. If you use a Loader to import the file, Fusion will import the image in the full resolution.
You probably need to merge that image onto a background with the desired resolution to get it back into the edit page with the right aspect.

I personally don't even know why they handle the resolutions so weird in the Fusion Page. The biggest feature about Fusion Studio/Standalone is that it's so good with high resolutions and mostly resolution independent. Yet the Fusion page does all kinds of weird things when importing stuff.

I've recently seen someone who was using 6k footage in a UHD timeline. In Fusion the resolution was still 6K but it was scaled down to UHD with borders on each side. Nobody expects this and I don't know why this happens. Either it should be in timeline resolution or it should import the full resolution without scaling the image down. Very frustrating, especially as a long(ish) time Fusion user this behaviour seems completely illogical.

JulienFo

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks for your answer.
I found the solution to the problem of weird crop / change of scale or size of the clip / picture when going from the timeline to Fusion.

The thing is, I just went from the timeline to fusion by clicking on the fusion icon. Bad move! It is CAPITAL to right-click on the clip we want to edit in fusion and select "New fusion clip". Then again right click and "Open in fusion page". This way, the conversion from the timeline to Fusion is perfect.

Twester

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 10:50 pm

This is a big bug in my opinion and should be fixed. it stretches and sizes images that are not your project size and aspect, why would anyone ever want this as a default way of working?
Terry Wester
12 Forward Entertainment

TheBloke

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 am

Whether or not the MediaIn is scaled depends on the kind of Fusion composition you have in Resolve. I describe all the options and how they impact media in this post: Resolve Fusion: composition types and how they access media

Also be aware that if at all possible you do not want single frame images (JPG, PNG, TIFF, etc) loaded via MediaIn node, as they will not cache in RAM and this will tank performance. Therefore I'd always recommend using Loader nodes for single frame images (doesn't apply for image sequences), not MediaIn. More details here: Fusion page: Major performance issue with MediaIn v Loader.

So that's two reasons to use Loader vs MediaIn - both to avoid any scaling issues, and for performance. Though that does mean you can't arrange them on a timeline, which is one of the reasons to use Fusion in Resolve in the first place (versus Fusion Studio).

Read through the posts linked above and it'll give you an overview of the various options, and the issues involved.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Frank Engel

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 5:53 pm

The short version is that when you use a MediaIn node to pull media from the underlying timeline, what you are getting is post-edit-page footage at timeline resolution rather than original media resolution - in other words, you are working with the "output" of the edit page, already scaled/cropped to the timeline.

In contrast, a Loader node brings in media directly to the Fusion composition, thus you are working with the "original" media and not with something already manipulated by the edit page.

TheBloke

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Frank Engel wrote:The short version is that when you use a MediaIn node to pull media from the underlying timeline, what you are getting is post-edit-page footage at timeline resolution rather than original media resolution - in other words, you are working with the "output" of the edit page, already scaled/cropped to the timeline.
This is partially incorrect and somewhat misleading.

Regarding "footage at timeline resolution":
- This is true in the case of a Fusion Clip and Adjustment Clip composition, and a Fusion Effect/Transition. It is not true for a single clip composition, which one could argue is the 'default' composition type as it's the type you get if you put the playhead over a media clip and go to the Fusion page.

The MediaIn node of a single clip composition sees the original media at original resolution, and has access to its metadata.

Regarding "post-edit-page":
- Maybe you're referring to the image scaling as being 'post edit', but this is rather misleading as the Fusion page is always before the Edit page, not after. The Fusion page will not see any transformations, adjustments or effects made/added in the Edit page - with the sole exception of the Lens Correction effect, which does occur before Fusion.

The scaling to timeline resolution isn't considered part of the Edit page, but is rather part of the source media loading that Resolve does automatically. This graphic from the manual (p1352) shows the order of operations:

In order to get Edit and/or Color page effects to apply before Fusion - so that their impact is seen by a Fusion composition - nesting has to be involved. That is, making a Compound or Fusion Clip out of the source clip(s), then placing a Fusion composition on that container clip. Any Edit/Color adjustments done inside that container clip will then be seen by a Fusion composition placed on the container clip.

In contrast, a Loader node brings in media directly to the Fusion composition, thus you are working with the "original" media
Yes, the Loader node sees original media in all cases - but unfortunately it only works for images and image sequences. In the case of single-frame images (not sequences), the Loader node is vastly preferable to MediaIn because MediaIn nodes can't cache in RAM.
and not with something already manipulated by the edit page.
But again, all edit page effects on this timeline, except Lens Correction, will not influence a Fusion MediaIn node. Nesting needs to be used if one wants to change that order of operations.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

arnieman47

PostTue May 16, 2023 4:56 pm

JulienFo wrote:Thanks for your answer.
I found the solution to the problem of weird crop / change of scale or size of the clip / picture when going from the timeline to Fusion.

The thing is, I just went from the timeline to fusion by clicking on the fusion icon. Bad move! It is CAPITAL to right-click on the clip we want to edit in fusion and select "New fusion clip". Then again right click and "Open in fusion page". This way, the conversion from the timeline to Fusion is perfect.

Thank you so much I've been looking for this solution after weeks of frustration

Return to Fusion