Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Update and Versioning of Macros/Titles

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Paul Curtis

Update and Versioning of Macros/Titles

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 pm

So i have been building an SMS title which i need for a show. So far so good, all seems pretty flexible, expressions and all.

So i save as a Macro and expose some parameters and pop that in Titles.

I can use that across different projects.

Now i realise that i need to make a global change to the Macro, so i open up the fusion source, tweak and then save it again, overwriting the old Macro.

But that doesn't work, seems that once you've used a macro then that particular one is embedded in the timeline.

So is this alway the case? Is there any way i can select what's already on the timeline and update it to the new macro? Otherwise it could be a huge nightmare if i can to recreate several hundred of them one by one...

I am pretty new to this...

thanks!
Paul

Sander de Regt

Re: Update and Versioning of Macros/Titles

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 pm

This is indeed how it works. Macros are a way to create nodes inside of Fusion that then do stuff.
After they've been created in your comp there is no longer a direct link to the file on your drive.

What kind of changes are you talking about though? Maybe we can help you figure something out.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Paul Curtis

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 6:17 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:This is indeed how it works. Macros are a way to create nodes inside of Fusion that then do stuff.
After they've been created in your comp there is no longer a direct link to the file on your drive.

What kind of changes are you talking about though? Maybe we can help you figure something out.

Thanks for confirming.

So it's an animated text message macro and i expose a few fields but the rest is done in macro as the look. I have hundreds of these to do so it makes sense to approach it this way. But if for any reason later on in the post cycle we decide we need to change some element in the macro i was hoping that i could update the master and have all the ones being used update automagically. But this seems not the case.

What i have discovered is that right clicking and resetting appears to bring in the updated macro from disc, but at the expense of loosing the existing parameters. That was almost it!

And also during the edit update test cycle it appears i have to go through and choose ALL the parameters on each publish - there's no way to pre decide which parameters i want?

I believe i can open the text file, so i suspect i can probably do something that way but i was wondering if, in fusion, i could collate all the parameters i want to show before saving as a macro in a way that i don't have to choose each time from scratch?

thanks!
Paul

Sander de Regt

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 7:05 pm

If someone else doesn't reply earlier, I'll be glad to come back to this question later, but I have an urgent deadline to attend to the next couple of days. I have to make sure that I don't spend my time in forums in the mean time. ;-)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion