Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Gamma Shift From Fusion to Resolve (OCIO)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

regular

Gamma Shift From Fusion to Resolve (OCIO)

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi guys I am new to both Fusion/Resolve and ACES so there are plenty of opportunities for me to be doing something wrong here.

So I've rendered from Houdini/Redshift using ACEScg, I've brought the footage into Resolve and set the Project Settings->Color Management to ACEScc, set the input transform to ACEScg and the output transform to sRGB.

This works great when I bring in footage just to color correct in Resolve, but it seems like as soon as I touch it in Fusion everything goes haywire. First off, the footage in Fusion doesn't seem to pay attention to the Project Settings, so I did the OCIO Transform thing and converted manually, did some stuff, then converted back before output to Resolve. This makes the issue less noticeable, but there is still definitely a difference in brightness between what I'm viewing in Fusion vs what I'm viewing in Resolve. All viewer LUTs have been disabled.

If anyone has any insight into what's going on here or has a better approach to using ACEScg in this pipeline I would love some more info. Thank you!

Kel Philm

Re: Gamma Shift From Fusion to Resolve (OCIO)

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 8:38 pm

Are you using Fusion Standalone or Fusion in Resolve?

regular

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm using it in Resolve

Jay Bills

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm

I'm still new to Resolve + Fusion (so take that into account here), but I believe if your input has been properly linearized and managed by Resolve, I think it will come into Fusion without the display look up. You might have to hit the viewer LUT button at the top of the viewer and set that accordingly just to give you the proper display space while working in Fusion.

I guess you could do it with nodes as well, but then you'd kind of have to "view through" those nodes at the various points of your tree all the time just to see what you're doing. the viewer LUT might be a little less invasive.

regular

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Jay Bills wrote:I'm still new to Resolve + Fusion (so take that into account here), but I believe if your input has been properly linearized and managed by Resolve, I think it will come into Fusion without the display look up. You might have to hit the viewer LUT button at the top of the viewer and set that accordingly just to give you the proper display space while working in Fusion.

I guess you could do it with nodes as well, but then you'd kind of have to "view through" those nodes at the various points of your tree all the time just to see what you're doing. the viewer LUT might be a little less invasive.

It's not a LUT issue. The issue is that when I bring the footage through the Fusion page it destroys the downstream workflow. So if I bring it directly into Resolve (color page) it looks one way, but if I pass it through Fusion first the gamma is off and honestly I don't even think it's still in ACES space at that point

Bernd Klimm

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm

How do you determine that it destroys the downstream workflow and where exactly does it look wrong or does not appear to be in the right space?

In Fusion? Or after Fusion in the Color page?

You mean the image is going to Fusion and not coming back from Fusion in the right way towards the color page?

Or if the problem is in Fusion but not LUT related, how does it look?

For comparison, you can load the ACEScg file directly in Fusion via a loader node. That circumvents the color management. So if the view LUTs are turned off, this should look the same as the clip that's coming from the Resolve edit page if everything goes right.
https://vfxstudy.com

Return to Fusion