Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

how to use path maps?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

kite4life

how to use path maps?

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 4:44 am

Hi,

I work on several computers and transfer projects sometimes. My projects contain some 3D files (obj in that case) that I imported in fusion. These imported files cannot be relinked using the usual method in the media pool. I was recommended to use Path Maps. This is the first time I and I am not sure how to use it. Unless I am mistaken, the Manual does not show it fully.

So far I have found how to create a path variable in the fusion settings:
All my fusion files are into a single folder, itself on my desktop. Obviously I created a path map to that folder which contains everything and will move from computers along with my projects.

Where I struggle now is actually using this path map when importing a new file.

To import a file I usually go in fusion -> import -> FBX scene (or whichever type of file I need to import).
Then I have a search window that appears so I can select the file to import.

The search window that appears is a standard search window for mac. That is where I have a doubt. I may be wrong but I believe that the search window should instead be similar to the one in the picture attached below (found in the internet). In there, there is a path map section. I suppose I must search my files from that window.
At some point I was able to have this specific search window to appear, but for some reason I have not been able to make it appear again.... I don't know how I did that.

Maybe someone can help?
Maybe I am completely wrong in my assumptions and the process is not how I imagine, feel free to contradict. My goal is just to have this path map used.

NB: I use davinci 16.0

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
path maps.png
the fusion search window I suppose I must get to import files with the right path.
path maps.png (303.77 KiB) Viewed 2775 times

Andrew Hazelden

Re: how to use path maps?

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 5:18 am

With the Fusion page active in Resolve, go to the "Fusion > Fusion Settings..." menu item.

1 Fusion Settings.png
1 Fusion Settings.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

On the left side of the Fusion Settings window, click on the PathMap entry. Then turn on the checkbox for "[x] Enable reverse mapping of non-user paths". Now your file paths will be shortened down to the nearest PathMap entry that exists for a selected filepath for Loaders, Savers, FBXExport, and FBX/OBJ/ABC imported models.

2 Pathmaps.png
2 Pathmaps.png (65.54 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

At the bottom of the PathMap dialog is the User based PathMap section. You can define a (shortcut like) name for your PathMap, and then define the absolute path to a disk/folder location in the other field.

Make sure to clear out your use of the pre-set words "To:" and "From:" in those text fields when you go to select a folder in the file browsing dialog, or this can leave junk in the filename field if you are inattentive.

Scroll down in the PathMap dialog to scrutinize the existing entries and mimic how they are created when you add your own new PathMaps.

*Edited for clarity

(In Fusion Studio Standalone you would open the "File > Preferences..." menu item, then switch to the "Global and Default Settings > PathMap entry.)
Last edited by Andrew Hazelden on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

kite4life

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 8:34 am

Thank you very much Andrew for your help.

I have tried setting path maps on a test project before actually doing it on my real projects. I have not been able to get the transfer though....
Here is exactly what I did, maybe someone can spot my mistake.

I created a junk projet called TestPathMaps on one computer with some random obj files and tried to transfer it to the second computer.

on the first computer:

*insert a new fusion composition in the timeline (edit tab)
*go in the fusion tab, fusion -> fusion settings, click on the path Map section
*create a new path map by clicking on the New button
*in the "From" area: i gave a the following name to my path: "test:"
*in the "to" area I inserted the path going to the folder that contains objects in computer 1:
*click on "enable reverse mapping...."
*save
*import the object: fusion -> import -> FBX scene
*connect all node to have something ok in the mediaout, whatever, it is a fake project anyway.
*save, close project, export project

computer 2:

*import project, open it.
*go in the fusion tab, fusion -> fusion settings, click on the path Map section
*create a new path map by clicking on the New button
*in the "From" area: i gave a the following name to my path: "test:"
*in the "to" area I inserted the path going to the folder that contains objects in computer 2:
*click on "enable reverse mapping...."
*save

From there, I should have the mediaout working properly. This is not the case.

Is there something I missed?
By the way, From the beginning, when I imported the files in computer 1, I could see in the inspector that the path was still the full path. So I had little doubt it would not work but I tried anyway.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

birdseye

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 9:51 am

If I was making a guess, you appear to have mixed up Andrew's 'To' and 'From' instructions but you have probably already spotted that.

Andrew Hazelden

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 10:34 am

Hi. It was pretty late in my timezone (after 1am) when I wrote my previous reply. Maybe try this next step out and see if it helps clarify custom PathMap usage:

If you have the WSL forums Reactor package manager installed in your copy of Resolve or Fusion, then you can take a peek in the User section of the PathMap dialog at how the “Reactor:” entry was set up.

Also, if you install the Reactor based KartaVR images example package you can try loading in a sample OBJ or FBX mesh from the “Reactor:/Deploy/Macros/KartaVR/Images/“ folder to try a PathMap out.

I don’t remember the exact steps to do it... but if you search on this BMD forum, and on the Steakunderwater Fusion community forum, you will come across a tip that tells how you can force the Fusion page file browsing dialogs to be either your operating system’s native dialog style, or the Fusion style of dialog that has preset entries for PathMaps visible on the left side of the dialog.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Return to Fusion