Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Best places to learn 3D compositing.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

CariceHouten

Best places to learn 3D compositing.

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 6:21 am

Hey guys! I've been using After Effects for close to 8 years now, I think I'm pretty good at it and I truly do love it. I want to get into 3D compositing because now that we're in 2018 I'm finding that somethings eg - dirt explosion, fire, explosion, walls falling down - are starting to look like crap. I've been using Element 3D, but it doesn't have the ability to do particles and physic breakdowns.

What do I use? Where do I start?

Aurore de Blois

Re: Best places to learn 3D compositing.

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Carice,
Fusion's 3D environment is strong, with particles that can interact with 3D objects etc but if you are after hardbody physics based results you still will want a dedicated 3D application [unless you're into hard-core coding].

There are a lot of legacy videos/tutorials on youtube on the 3D aspects in Fusion and they're still entirely relevant to the current version although you will find the GUI has changed :?
https://www.youtube.com/user/eyeonsoftware/videos

You may want to try some of the 'basic' tutorials just to get familiar with its 3D before moving onto ambitious things.
There are quite a few you might find worth trying out, they may be old but don't ignore them just because they may appear 'out of date'. Their basics of 3D compositing are still valid. Good learning stuff in that set for 3D basics.
MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro
Intel CM238 i7-7920 HQ CPU@3.10 GHz
DDR4-2400 (64GB)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA)
1x 2.5" SATA HDD
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Return to Fusion