Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Traveling, No Dongle, I'm Dead In The Water

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

steve oakley

Traveling, No Dongle, I'm Dead In The Water

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:27 am

Title pretty much says it all. Traveling with my laptop, need to use Fusion to assemble Img sequences into movs. I know trivial task, but its beyond mind numbing and lung hurting screaming that handling img sequences is broken ( yet again ) in compressor / QT Player / anything else. Fusion, no problem. If I was sitting at home connected to my USB hub with the Fusion dongle in it, no problem. Sitting in hotel hours away, wanting to assmble some TL shots, no go. Why does it have to be this hard ? Ok, fine, I'll download on crappy hotel WiFi a couple gig Resolve Free install while I have full vers that also won't run w/o the dongle. This is stupid. Traveling wtih dongles is too risky. This shouldn't stop a legit user from doing some simple work.

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

UserNoah

Re: Traveling, No Dongle, I'm Dead In The Water

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 5:33 am

I've heard of people that traded their dongle into a digital license. But you've got to ask the support for that. I'm also unsure if this is "standard procedure" or if they generally try to avoid that.

Jacob Danell

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 8:02 am

That's how dongles work. Easy to switch computers, hard to use if you don't have it physically.
What I have done is using VirtualHere to "stream" the USB to my laptop when I'm away. As long as you have internet it works flawlessly :)

Windows 10, Fusion 18.x
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
128 GB ram

birdseye

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:33 pm

I guess you are just getting something off your chest but for such a simple task, why not just use something like Shutter Encoder.

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/faq.html

steve oakley

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 4:15 am

birdseye wrote:I guess you are just getting something off your chest but for such a simple task, why not just use something like Shutter Encoder.

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/faq.html

because I'd never heard of it before, because google didn't turn it up, because mac app store didn't turn it up. you can't use something you can't find.... thank you for the link, looks useful.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

steve oakley

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 am

Jacob Danell wrote:That's how dongles work. Easy to switch computers, hard to use if you don't have it physically.
What I have done is using VirtualHere to "stream" the USB to my laptop when I'm away. As long as you have internet it works flawlessly :)

thank you ! that looks very interesting. It might also let me share an iLok on 2 local machines without having to hop the dongle around.

many years ago, I did demos / training for several well know apps. I was walking around with a bunch of dongles on my keychain worth a cool $25K, or double what my car at the time was worth ! if I could of remoted them life would of been better back then bit having to walk around with all of them.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Return to Fusion