Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Tired of fusion...really !

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jean-Michel Tari

Tired of fusion...really !

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Okay, one more time, I've spend 1 whole day trying to do a simple shot with camera tracking, planar ...etc.
Software crashing, slow, UI bugs...etc
I've really tried to work with this software but enough is enough. I'm a professional and I'm supposed to deliver. Everytime I lauchge resolve or fusion, I pray that it will open..and often it don't for no reason. Is it normal ? no. I guess you will say " try this...do that...send us teh log file...". We are not supposed to because it should work ! point !
So I've just bought a Nuke licence and, guess what, it works ! (BTW I'm not paid by the Foundry to say that).
One point : This is exactly this way some company are diseappearing...by not listening to the complain of their customer. So, for the last time, STOP ADDIND USELESS STUFF TO THIS SOFTWARE AND MAKE IT WORKS !

Cheers and bye bye

Jean-Michel

xunile

Re: Tired of fusion...really !

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 5:56 pm

I see some similarities in the forum below, software not working for everyone. Fusion works fine for me 99% of the time.YMMV

https://community.foundry.com/discuss/forum/189/nuke-users
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Jean-Michel Tari

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 1:09 am

Ok, so here is my feedback on my today's experience (I repeat, I don't work for The Foundry...)

I've spent my whole day trying to do a camera tracking. It was (again) a nightmare with Fusion crashing a lot, file refusing to open, camera tracking with horrible results, UI bug, performance issues...etc.
So I've decided that life was too short to have a nervous breakdown every time I wish I could work with fusion. So I bought the Indi version of Nuke (447 euros)
And my professional life is worth living again !
- Despite the fact that I didn't touch Nuke since a lot of years, I retrieve quite easily the way to handle the beast.
- I've redone entirely the infamous shot in Nuke in...2 hours !
- The fluidity of the software (player of the 4K video) was soooooo much better than Fusion (real time on Nuke...which means that my computer is not responsible for the horrible lack of performance of Fusion....YOUR SOFTWARE IS )
- NO CRASH OCCURS AT ALL ! Whaou ! So this is possible ?!?

So, again, I don't write all this to add more customer to The Foundry. I'm just an (ex) customer that was willing to give a lot of chances to fusion...but this time is over. Now is the time to work...seriously.

Just my 2 cents....

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 7:53 am

Don’t get too excited with Nuke not crashing, it does, and depending on what you do, quite a lot. But interesting thing is that from my somewhat limited investigations into crash dumps it frequently crashes due to bugs in python libs, c++ libs or other random reasons not always under control of software developers. And it applies to Resolve/Fusion too.
I do stuff.

DouglasRogers

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 12:50 pm

Agree, lost a lot of work using Nuke for projects. As for Resolve, make sure the computer specs meet Blackmagic’s requirements. Higher is better. I have ran both Studio and the free version. Studio is certainly more stable.

Jeff Ha

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 5:16 pm

I'm thankful I have Nuke at home for indie work. It's painful when the maintenance rolls around like it just did, but the experience is so much better. If I could ever convince this place to buy Nuke I would but they're too cheap. I used to love fusion years ago, when I didn't have access to nuke. I felt like it could have been a great competitor feature-wise for Nuke but Eyeon and BMD let it languish for years. Now it feels like it's just around to sell seats of Resolve. I'll still use it at work because it's what we have (and AE.. but.. it's AE).

I definitely feel your pain.

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 pm

I completely feel your pain. I have spent a lot of hours training to use Resolve and Fusion. When it works, it is an amazing program. But issues like the ones you mentioned and for me adding a paint node completely crashing resolve even after resetting my computer and reinstalling absolutely everything is really just not acceptable. They added these crazy Instagram reframing things and the cut page for apparently cell phone video editors but this is a professional Hollywood software so they should definitely spend efforts on getting rid of these bugs that everybody is consistently bringing up. Fusion is hard enough without having to find workarounds for the myriad of bugs.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Tim Franks

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 5:30 am

Could this be the result of Blackmagic offering their software for free? This is becoming more present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:00 am

Making something free doesn't introduce bugs into code. Bugs are introduced when there is a feature rally to satisfy the need to attract new users with stream of new features. How big is the actual incentive to fix existing bugs when this activity brings in just about zero new users is something to ponder on. Fusion is just collateral damage in this imho, and endgame seems to be nearing with Resolve now being advertised in tv and on dumpster ads. Resolve is an experiment in finding the saturation point of NLE market. BMD support already seems to have thrown the towel into ring, because my last support request took two weeks to get first answer, it began with "we are overwhelmed" and they didn't provide any useful information whatsoever.
I do stuff.

Tim Franks

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 am

Clearly misunderstood my comment. What I meant for free as in many situations the industry.
Priority and quality assurance is handled differently.

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 am

This is what I wrote too. Free doesn’t turn fine code into buggy code overnight, practices following from making it free do.
I do stuff.

Tim Franks

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 am

Fine code is also not buggy

GalinMcMahon

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 9:09 pm

Many of us are on the paid version which, granted, is practically free. I would jump at the chance to spend a couple grand on a "Resolve Pro" that focused on speed and reliability over burning page transition effects.

Still love Resolve, I just want it to work a little more smoothly.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Return to Fusion