Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Bring back GPU Mode for "Classic" OpticalFlow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

UserNoah

Bring back GPU Mode for "Classic" OpticalFlow

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 9:05 am

In Fusion Studio 17 (and Resolve 17 Fusion) the OpticalFlow tool was updated to use the faster OF from Resolve. Unfortunately, it is considerably worse than the now-called "Classic" mode. With this change, they removed the GPU acceleration for said "Classic"-mode, making it much slower than in release 16.
I am asking the devs to reconsider this as the "Advanced"-Mode produces worse results in most cases.
Especially small details are not interpolated correctly at all.

In this example, I am using a trails tool to create star trails with a timelapse. Using OF and Vector Motion Blur I can further smear the pixels to remove the stepping. Very simple task.
You might need to view the images in a new tab to see them bigger.

These are the results with the new "Advanced"-mode:

Advanced_OF.jpg
Advanced_OF.jpg (49.18 KiB) Viewed 482 times

This renders around 2 frames per second, no tweaking of the settings produces good results.

This is the "Classic"-mode:

Classic_OF.jpg
Classic_OF.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 482 times

This renders around 1.5 frames per second because I can reduce the proxy to 5 and still get great results. But there are cases where I have to keep the proxy number higher, and in those, the GPU mode in F16 was greatly appreciated.

But this isn't the only case where the "Advanced"-mode is worse. I haven't actually found a use case where it produces better results than the "Classic"-mode. It's only faster, but probably not if the "Classic"-mode would get the GPU acceleration back.

While we're at it, the SpeedWarp mode in Resolves Edit page produces incredibly great results. This would be a great addition to Fusions OpticalFlow toolset. I can live with the slow speed for such good results, the only reason I'm complaining about the speed of the "Classic"-mode is because it was crippled on purpose or oversight.

Return to Fusion