Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Photoshop workflow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

Fusion Photoshop workflow

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 3:55 pm

I think I know the answer here but I'm hoping there is a better right answer. A righter answer?

Shot a short that will need a ton of post work, i.e. masking and painting. As I've learned, the paint node is extremely processor heavy to the point that it basically does not work. A shame because it's a great tool. Just bogs my computer down to unusable instantly. I'm sure it's an issue specific to my config because I can't find any posts about others having this issue. Comp works well otherwise.

So it looks like tons of exporting to Photoshop. Everything was shot in BM RAW to make the colorist happy. But since he'll be coloring Photoshop images, is it totally accurate to say that all RAW benefits will be lost?

What would you suggest as a workflow here? Should I go through the footage and adjust the RAW adjustments (mainly ISO) to make it look goodish, export, paint, import? That would create a mismatched color science between the Photoshopped images and the untouched RAW video, right?

Now the next question: what formats would you suggest? Last time I did this (years ago) I exported a filmstrip, edited each frame, then imported that filmstrip back into Premiere or whatever I was using way back when. That worked well but that was also back in the 480i days.

So many questions!
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Travis Schmiesing

Re: Fusion Photoshop workflow

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 pm

It is interesting that your colorist is grading video footage in Photoshop. I haven't worked with a professional colorist before, so I don't know how common that workflow is.

Does Photoshop read Black Magic Raw, or does he need to convert it to some other format before using it in Photoshop?

I am surprised that you can't export BRAW files from Fusion since it is a Blackmagic product.

Again, I don't have an answer for you but if I had to guess your colorist would be fine with a ProRes Raw HQ file. Or possibly switch to an EXR image sequence.

GalinMcMahon

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 9:04 pm

No, I would have to export from DR in png or something similar. All grading to be done in DR. I could just create overlays in PS but they wouldn't be graded along with the underlying footage. I guess I could export everything and reimport it so it's consistent and just hang over whatever color science ends up in the project.

Im just looking for a workflow where I can do my painting and masking in PS, bring the images back as video and somehow have the benefit of BRAW or even ProRes. I doubt it's possible but then I don't know everything...or so my wife keeps telling me!
Resolve Studio 18.5

Travis Schmiesing

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 10:21 pm

I completely read your first post backward. If you export to Photoshop for painting, then you will want to use an EXR sequence instead of a PNG sequence. The reason being is that EXR supports 32-bits of color depth, whereas PNG is only 8-bit color depth. You could try a DPX sequence, but EXR is more standard.

You could also try doing the painting in AfterEffects, though I don't know if it is less processor intensive than Fusion's version. This was you don't have to convert to an image sequence, though I don't know if AE will export braw, so you may need to export to ProRes RAW HQ anyway.

As for workflow... If you use Photoshop, I would probably bring the painted/stamped frames back into Fusion, use a merge tool to overlay them on top of the original footage, and possibly do a garbage mask around the areas you painted. This was you could keep the BRAW metadata intact, and your colorist would probably be none the wiser.

It would be best to do a few test frames and share them with your colorist to make sure it works for him.

EDIT:
That said, if the camera is moving, then doing your cleanup in Photoshop would be a nightmare. I can't imagine painting each frame by hand.

GalinMcMahon

PostTue May 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Thank you for the great info. I will try this. Yep, camera always moving. I shot this with the expectation that I could use the paint node but even just adding the blank node crashes the program completely. Thanks!
Resolve Studio 18.5

xunile

PostTue May 04, 2021 5:37 pm

Are you using Fusion inside of Resolve or the standalone version?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

GalinMcMahon

PostWed May 05, 2021 6:27 pm

In Resolve. Are there benefits to the standalone?
Resolve Studio 18.5

xunile

PostWed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm

It could be more stable and less resource-intensive than using it in Resolve, if you can I would give it a try.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to Fusion