Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Using alpha/luma of one video to create mask for another

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

EltonBoo

Using alpha/luma of one video to create mask for another

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:56 am

I can't seem to find this anywhere, but surely it can be done? Essentially I have some videos that are black and white and include an Alpha channel. For example, ink spills or silhouettes. I want to mask another video or image with the output of the alpha channel or could be luma key I guess since the videos are black and white?

I am comfortable with all the standard masking in Fusion, but can't seem to get this. Is it possible? How is this done?

Sander de Regt

Re: Using alpha/luma of one video to create mask for another

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 10:36 am

I think if you use a bitmap mask on the footage that you want to 'cut out' and use the alpha channel of your video a the input of the bitmap mask, you should be good to go.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

EltonBoo

Re: Using alpha/luma of one video to create mask for another

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I think if you use a bitmap mask on the footage that you want to 'cut out' and use the alpha channel of your video a the input of the bitmap mask, you should be good to go.

Thank you for this. I have got it to work and now need to refine. Pipe the 'Bitmap' node into the blue (mask) input of the clip i want to mask, pipe the video that i am using for the mask into the Bitmap node. Done!! thanks again...

Return to Fusion