Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Added a PNG32 as a fusion layer - turns out fuzzy

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

cinevid54

Added a PNG32 as a fusion layer - turns out fuzzy

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 4:14 pm

So I'm trying to composite a still of a 3D object I created in Lightwave to place over top of a keyed layer, then had to mask out a person. It looks fine in fusion, but when I go back to edit, it's fuzzy. Any clues as to what may be causing this?
FuzProblem.jpg
FuzProblem.jpg (120.51 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

cinevid54

Re: Added a PNG32 as a fusion layer - turns out fuzzy

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 11:36 am

No one? Buehler? Buehler?

It didn't matter too much on this project, but it'll be a serious deal breaker on any other compositing projects.

Oh, and I tried a jpg with solid green background and the keyer, even a TIFF file... same result.

UserNoah

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 6:04 am

To me there seems to be a similar effect on the lower right side of the woman sitting towards us.
So maybe there is a glow that's supposed to be a light wrap that's applied to everything?
Could you post a picture that's right before the media out?
If it's also not visible there then there is some resolve conversion magic going on which I couldn't really help you with. But if it's Fusion related maybe I (or someone else) has an idea.
There is simply not too much information available to help you.

cinevid54

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 4:45 pm

The softness on the teacher is from the green screen key. It's a huge pain to get a good key when you do full length and subject shadows are touching the ground. And in the final output the AV cart is soft as well.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 6:51 pm

questions like this are much easier for people to chime in on, if you give as many details as possible.

can you post your png?
post your node tree.
give us more specs on the objects you are using.

just saying, "why is this fuzzy" doesn't give us a lot to go on other than to say "yes it is"

cinevid54

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 2:05 pm

So I created a test project and in just working with the separate elements, it seems that the 3D Keyer is the problem. When I toggle it off the fuzziness goes away. I wonder if it's because I'm using Fusion for the masks, but the 3D Keyer in the edit tab for keying. Next I'll try using Fusion's keyer, so the masks, the footage and the keying are all inside fusion. (I tried to upload the test project, but forum only allows 1 Meg??) I did upload the png
TV_CartPush_rgb170.png
TV_CartPush_rgb170.png (64.18 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Attachments
TestOfKeyer (2).zip
(643.28 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 2:46 pm

So you merged the tv cart over greenscreen element and keyed the combined image in edit page? This explains your problem pretty well, reason is that keyer settings (like edge erosion and softness) are applied everywhere, including around your cart because you are keying it out not using its alpha channel. Alpha is killed after you merge it over the greenscreen.

I’d suggest laying this kind of details out straight away, you will get to the root of problem way faster.
I do stuff.

cinevid54

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone. Yeah, as I took it apart, I realized the keyer was affecting everything that was done in Fusion, being on the outside of the clip. Like what Hendrik said. For the next project, I'll have to do the keying with the Delta Keyer within Fusion.

Return to Fusion