Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Latest Fusion is very unstable and irritating

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ManiRatnam

Latest Fusion is very unstable and irritating

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 5:42 am

Hello BMD . I have upgraded to a new PC with AMD Ryzen9 5900x Processor, Rtx 3060 12gb, and 32 gb of 3600mhz RAM..I thought fusion will make my vfx workflow buttery smooth with this kind of specs..but to my surprise it is not better in any manner compared to my old gaming laptop with intel i7 6700k, gtx 960m and 16gb ram.

The most irritating part is it crashes very frequently which is not seen very much in the previous builds. Why this problem is occuring ..is it a software bug?? It crashes more than adobe programs do(iam a not a fan of adobe) ..Can you make fusion hardware optimised like Resolve so that i hope it will run somewhat smoother.

Note: I have upto date of all my drivers and also iam using latest release of fusion standalone.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Latest Fusion is very unstable and irritating

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 6:24 am

If something crashes it is a bug in software or drivers. There are bad apples within driver releases but usually it is the software itself. What you can do is send bug reports to point on errors, use older version instead in the meantime and hope that for next NAB it will be great.
I do stuff.

ManiRatnam

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:If something crashes it is a bug in software or drivers. There are bad apples within driver releases but usually it is the software itself. What you can do is send bug reports to point on errors, use older version instead in the meantime and hope that for next NAB it will be great.

Next NAB??? For Fusion??? Seriously?? I think they will be conducting NAB shows for Resolve because that is the main software for them and if they consider special show only for fusion at NAB or Virtual NAB means that is when we can believe that they are considering Fusion and there will be some hope.

My problems are
1)Some fonts causes crash upon scrolling fonts for text tool(both in resolve and fusion)
2) When i render the preview flipbook and when i enter the full screen upon rendered preview it crashes as if fusion was not opened at all.
3)Some random crashes upon some 3d objects.

i have installed Fusion 17 and checked it again ..the same problems i mentioned above occurs for the previous versions also.

Can any of the BMD member help me with this?

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 8:53 am

I think they can only help you if you find a way to reproduce your issues.
Just e-mailing them and saying 'it doesn't work' doesn't provide a way to fix the issues.
Because the only response you'll ever get to 'x doesn't work' is 'that's funny, it works for me here'

So you'll need to figure out: does it crash at the same font every time? If so, what font is it?

Etc etc.

It's not like a car that you can take to the garage and say 'try and find out why it's making this weird noise' since your computer is not BMD's computer, your graphics card isn't theirs and all the software you have installed on your software isn't on theirs.

So provide them with repeatable crashes, crashlogs and reports and *then* they can hopefully fix stuff.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Frank Engel

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Also, as has been brought up on other threads, it is best to use email or phone support rather than posting here if you are looking for BMD to respond directly to a support issue like this.

They do patrol the forums but it can take a bit longer for a thread like this one to receive a response than if you contact support by one of the other methods.

ManiRatnam

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I think they can only help you if you find a way to reproduce your issues.
Just e-mailing them and saying 'it doesn't work' doesn't provide a way to fix the issues.
Because the only response you'll ever get to 'x doesn't work' is 'that's funny, it works for me here'

So you'll need to figure out: does it crash at the same font every time? If so, what font is it?

Etc etc.

It's not like a car that you can take to the garage and say 'try and find out why it's making this weird noise' since your computer is not BMD's computer, your graphics card isn't theirs and all the software you have installed on your software isn't on theirs.

So provide them with repeatable crashes, crashlogs and reports and *then* they can hopefully fix stuff.

ok ..i will do that .. thank you

rsf123

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 1:20 pm

ManiRatnam wrote:Hello BMD . I have upgraded to a new PC with AMD Ryzen9 5900x Processor, Rtx 3060 12gb, and 32 gb of 3600mhz RAM..I thought fusion will make my vfx workflow buttery smooth with this kind of specs..but to my surprise it is not better in any manner compared to my old gaming laptop with intel i7 6700k, gtx 960m and 16gb ram.

It's anecdotes like this that freak me about and trouble me as I contemplate buying a more powerful PC - compared to my present Mac M1 16GB - in hope of better Fusion performance.

Frank Engel

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 1:00 pm

rsf123 wrote:
ManiRatnam wrote:Hello BMD . I have upgraded to a new PC with AMD Ryzen9 5900x Processor, Rtx 3060 12gb, and 32 gb of 3600mhz RAM..I thought fusion will make my vfx workflow buttery smooth with this kind of specs..but to my surprise it is not better in any manner compared to my old gaming laptop with intel i7 6700k, gtx 960m and 16gb ram.

It's anecdotes like this that freak me about and trouble me as I contemplate buying a more powerful PC - compared to my present Mac M1 16GB - in hope of better Fusion performance.

Hold out for M1X or M2 or whatever they name the next one instead. The current M1 has excellent single-core CPU performance and reasonable multi-core performance for an entry-level chip; it is mostly GPU performance and memory capacity that are currently lacking for professional work, and GPU is likely to be significantly improved in the next iteration, along with more RAM and additional CPU cores.

rsf123

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:51 am

Frank Engel wrote: Hold out for M1X or M2 or whatever they name the next one instead. The current M1 has excellent single-core CPU performance and reasonable multi-core performance for an entry-level chip; it is mostly GPU performance and memory capacity that are currently lacking for professional work, and GPU is likely to be significantly improved in the next iteration, along with more RAM and additional CPU cores.

On my Mac M1 16GB, for very complex Fusion compositions, the GPU is maxed out, but the CPU is hardly being used.

In a fantasy world, it'd be nice of BMD could allow the CPU to handle some of the Fusion workload - but I realise it's probably too big a thing to ask for, since I imagine it would require a total re-working of Fusion's code.

rsf123

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 5:35 pm

The most irritating part is it crashes very frequently .[/b][/i]

I remember seeing an article by Puget Systems that, in their work stations which sometimes use slower RAM for better guaranteed stability.

In this article, they state: "Overall, our recommendation for most users is to stick with the RAM speed that is officially supported by your CPU in order to maximize the stability of your system."

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Does-RAM-speed-affect-video-editing-performance-1528/

In this regard, I see that your 5900X has AMD recommending "up to 3200MHz" - whereas you are using 3600MHz memory. This could be a source of instability and crashing?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

ManiRatnam

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:09 am

rsf123 wrote:

The most irritating part is it crashes very frequently .[/b][/i]

I remember seeing an article by Puget Systems that, in their work stations which sometimes use slower RAM for better guaranteed stability.

In this article, they state: "Overall, our recommendation for most users is to stick with the RAM speed that is officially supported by your CPU in order to maximize the stability of your system."

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Does-RAM-speed-affect-video-editing-performance-1528/

In this regard, I see that your 5900X has AMD recommending "up to 3200MHz" - whereas you are using 3600MHz memory. This could be a source of instability and crashing?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

Thanks for letting me know about this .. I didn't knew this that ryzen 5900x supports upto 3200mhz .. i will turn of the xmp so that both ram sticks runs at 2666mhz and see if that solves the problem. and also the issue is fusion is using only 17-18 gb of ram out of my 32 gb ram.

Return to Fusion