Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion output with images resize in timeline

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jason P

Fusion output with images resize in timeline

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Hi,

I haven't tried fusion for a while to do this simple task, as it caused me this problem several versions ago and it's just recurred now. Any ideas why this is still happening in the latest version of Resolve (17.2.1, build 12)?

I'm on a macbook pro under Big Sur OSX 11.4

Here's what I'm doing. Simply adding a background border around a photo to display in a business video (please resist the temptation to comment on the appearance in the cheesy photo ;) )

I've imported an image and used a background mask in Fusion to size and crop.
I've created a background colour as a border to go around it, to separate it from my background
I've merged the two.

As you can see from the attached screen shots, when I look at it in Fusion, it's fine. Image is bordered properly. When I switch to my edit or render timeline, initially it was fine, then suddenly it flipped so that the image inside has been magnified up well out of scale.

When I click 'open in fusion', it all displays correctly, and when I play it in fusion as well.
However, this does not seem to render out into the timeline at all.

I have tried clearing the render cache for the clip and doing it again, with no result. The output is rendered with this enlarged image, whilst when I view it in the fusion page, it all looks perfect.

Any ideas what's going on? It seems like a bug where Fusion is forgetting the imported image size.

Thanks

Jason
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 10.22.19 AM.png
What appears in the timeline and output renders
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 10.22.19 AM.png (703.94 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 10.21.51 AM.png
What I see in fusion - image is correctly sized with border
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 10.21.51 AM.png (995.68 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

Sander de Regt

Re: Fusion output with images resize in timeline

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 7:01 am

I am not sure why this happens, but there's a good chance that you'll be able to fix it, by adding an empty background i.e. with alpha=0 and merge your graphic on top of it.

I don't know how Resolve deals with all of this internally, but I think that the Media Outs by default will conform to the timeline settings or something like that, so your square profile will be adjusted to the timeline and something happens along the way.

But like I said: try it with the empty BG at the bottom to get things going first.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Fusion output with images resize in timeline

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 8:01 am

Conceptual architectural problem here is that Resolve only scales one component out of two (photo, not frame), and does not apply mask properly anymore (round corners are gone) although comp is passed to timeline as one single output. So this indicates to me that your image is rescaled in mediain/loader phase depending on whether viewer is requesting comp in Fu page or from some other page. Wonders of resolution independence.
I do stuff.

Return to Fusion