Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Need node that functions opposite to Merge node (Split)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

nighght

Need node that functions opposite to Merge node (Split)

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 8:26 am

Hey guys, I'm looking for a solution to a specific problem here. I want to create a drag and drop Adjustment Layer for an effect with prebaked keyframes that I can use repeatedly, as I have done for a lot of other frequently used effects.

In this Adjustment Layer, I want to be able to have two instances of my Adjustment Clip as MediaIn, so that I can simultaneously zoom into two areas of the video and have them fill different halves of the screen. I can't find a node that will split my MediaIn into two pipelines and I can't drag the Adjustment Clip from my media pool a second time. Surely this isn't the only example where you would want to do two completely separate effects to one clip, is it? Am I missing something?

Doing this manually on the Edit page eliminates the possibility of having this as a drag and drop adjustment layer with keyframes (even if I did two), which is an issue because I would want to use this effect a lot and it would be very time consuming.

Thank you in advance for any help I can get!

Sander de Regt

Re: Need node that functions opposite to Merge node (Split)

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 9:10 am

I am not sure if I understand you, because you're using the same terminology for different things, I think.
If by Adjustment Clip you mean your original footage that you want to change i.e. your MediaIn, then there's no need for a second copy of the clip. In Fusion you can just drag another pipe from the original MediaIn to another node on another branch and then in the end merge everything back together.

So if you want to have for example a preset with a splitscreen where you zoom in to two different parts of the image at the same time and have them together on screen you can do that by creating two branches with seperate transform tools for each branch and then merge those on top of each other with a rectangle mask providing the split screen line.

Am I understanding you correctly?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 am

What Sander wrote. You can have as many different nodes connect their inputs to your MediaIn as you want, hundred if you like. Just drag the input of some node x to your MediaIn and you get the branching.
I do stuff.

nighght

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:43 am

Thanks for the help guys, I tried this like 1 time and probably just didn't drag it to the correct spot and figured it didn't work that way because I'm a dummy! I also discovered by adding a MediaIn node from I/O in the right-click menu, it will by default use the original footage that I want to change (the footage underneath the adjustment clip) which is just labelled as "adjustment clip" as the source of the MediaIn, which is why my terminology was bad/confusing and I was referring to it as the source footage. But yeah, if you wanted to organize your workflow slightly differently you could do it that way which is neat!

Sander de Regt

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:45 am

It's not only neat, but it's also a lot more fool proof (and maybe even quicker) since the footage only has to be loaded once and it always references the same frame etc.

But glad we could help.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 12:22 pm

If there is any reasoning in Resolve engine footage is loaded only once even with multiple duplicate MediaIn nodes.
I do stuff.

Return to Fusion