Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Copy points of path to another path

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ResolveNoob

Copy points of path to another path

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 am

I'm trying to create a text morph effect where the font of a letter morphs seamlessly into another font (video attached). I've found a process that works but it's quite inefficient and I'm hoping someone knows a way I could do it faster. Here is my current process:

1. Convert text in both fonts to paths (shapes) in Inkscape.
2. Import paths as polygons into Fusion.
3. Publish the polygon points that make up the letter in both fonts.
4. Keyframe the points such that the animation starts with the original font and the polygon points move into the positions of the new font.

The issue is that I haven't found the best way to easily copy the points from the second font to the first one. For example, the polygon of the letter L has 6 points in each font and I copied the values of each of the points one by one. That's a total of 12 copy paste operations (because a point has an x and y value). Is there an easier way to do it? An expression perhaps? I thought I could just copy the keyframes in the keyframes window but that didn't work.
Attachments
Ltest.zip
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

xunile

Re: Copy points of path to another path

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 6:00 pm

I would try and use a Background node and connect a Polygon mask to it and outline the letter with it. Then animate the mask points and change them so they fit the other font.
Attachments
2021-06-23.png
2021-06-23.png (567.95 KiB) Viewed 693 times
2021-06-23 (1).png
2021-06-23 (1).png (603.29 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.5| Fusion Studio 18.6.5

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

ResolveNoob

Re: Copy points of path to another path

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 11:25 pm

xunile wrote:I would try and use a Background node and connect a Polygon mask to it and outline the letter with it. Then animate the mask points and change them so they fit the other font.

The crazy thing is that could actually be a faster, less complicated way to do it. Thanks.

The reason I tried to go with the approach that I went with is that in Aftereffects, you can copy the all the mask points at once from one polygon to another as a single keyframe and it just works out. Thought someone knew a way I could do something like that in Fusion.

Return to Fusion