Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

DVR 17.2.2 Shape and Background sizes not saving properly

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

FuzzeeDee

DVR 17.2.2 Shape and Background sizes not saving properly

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 4:57 am

After importing SVG graphics, ungrouping some, leaving others in their group, I get everything looking perfect, then save and exit. When I reload the project later to work on it, the sizes are all messed up. It seems to change them all to 320 x 240, no matter what the original sizes were. The only Background not being reset is the master background which is set to the screen size. I've rebuilt this project from scratch twice now, the second time after rebooting my system. Has anyone else run into this, is there a work around? I have several layers of imported SVG graphics which of course are layered on top of each other by merges. The only things not getting their sizes messed up are the text+ nodes. but even one these are getting shifted up in position after the reload. Even weirder is a flag that is behind everything, gets stretched from top to bottom, but the actual sizes of the grouped nodes are not changed in the entry fields for size of the nodes. Something really weird is going on, my project is due on Saturday and I have been tearing my hair out for days.
-
➤ DVR 18.6.5 Studio
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900XT
MB: Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
➤ WiFi 6, BT 5, 2.5Gb Ethernet
RAM: 64 GB Corsair 3600Mhz
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ 6700 XT 12 GB
PSU: 850W 80+ Gold

UserNoah

Re: DVR 17.2.2 Shape and Background sizes not saving properl

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 6:08 am

Have you set the resolution to custom? When you have masks that aren't the same size as your composition or aren't connected to the mask input of a tool, then it can happen that they will change to the resolution of the comp as their default value after a restart.
This can be fixed by manually specifying their resolution. If you have several masks chained together you only need to set this for the first one.
If for some reason it still doesn't work, then I would use a resize tool to force the resolution.

Bryan Ray

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Be aware, though, that Resizing from 320x240 up to your format size will give you blurry results. Best to ensure that the Backgrounds and masks are all the correct size so you don't lose quality.

I'm not sure why things would rescale to 320x240 unless that's the size of an input image coming from the Timeline. I'm not very familiar with how Fusion in Resolve works, though. I believe Fusion Standalone's default new comp format is HD, but that may not be the same for Resolve.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

UserNoah

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Probably should have been clearer. Like Bryan said. Don't use the resize tool if setting a custom resolution works.

I only mentioned it because sometimes Fusion (especially in Resolve) can have quirks and bugs that you might need a immediate workaround for.

FuzzeeDee

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 2:47 am

UserNoah wrote:Have you set the resolution to custom? When you have masks that aren't the same size as your composition or aren't connected to the mask input of a tool, then it can happen that they will change to the resolution of the comp as their default value after a restart.
This can be fixed by manually specifying their resolution. If you have several masks chained together you only need to set this for the first one.
If for some reason it still doesn't work, then I would use a resize tool to force the resolution.

The images are all SVG so resizing does not cause blurriness. Custom sizes were set automatically upon import, but I did verify custom sizing was selected. Each image uses totally different sizes. I have two things I am going to try.

I will try exporting the nodes to a .setting file and see if it maintains the sizes properly when I drag the settings file back into fusion. Failing that, I will try transform nodes instead of redoing the sizes of the shapes directly.
-
➤ DVR 18.6.5 Studio

Bryan Ray

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Once you've imported into Fusion, the raster size is fixed by the settings in the Background nodes used to generate color. Fusion doesn't pass vector data from tool to tool*, so once you hit the output of any of those Backgrounds, it's a raster and subject to the same limitations as any other raster.

*This is not entirely true any more—the new Shape tools do it, but the PNG importer does not use the Shapes system, and it's still got plenty of bugs. And even then, once you reach the sRender node, you're back in pixel-land, so a Resize will still give issues.
Bryan Ray

FuzzeeDee

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 5:06 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:*This is not entirely true any more—the new Shape tools do it, but the PNG importer does not use the Shapes system, and it's still got plenty of bugs. And even then, once you reach the sRender node, you're back in pixel-land, so a Resize will still give issues.

I'm importing SVG files NOT PNG files so the resulting nodes are all shape nodes connected to background nodes.
-
➤ DVR 18.6.5 Studio

FuzzeeDee

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 5:33 pm

UPDATE: I found the issue and a work around. Black Magic Team this still needs to be fixed, but I pinpointed where it is happening. If I save the project while in fusion and exit resolve from there, it does not save the sizes in the background nodes that are attached to shapes. If however, I switch to the EDIT tab, then save and exit, it properly saves the shapes and background nodes sizes.
-
➤ DVR 18.6.5 Studio

Bryan Ray

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 6:42 pm

You're misunderstanding me. Fusion is not a vector-aware program. When you import an SVG, what you get is not an SVG linked into the project, it's that collection of masks and Backgrounds. Even though they came from a vector format, once each node hits its own output, they become raster—grids of pixels.

A Resize node works only on pixels, not on vectors, so if you had a 320x240 output from the group of shapes, and you Resize it larger, you won't get the smooth, clean lines you expect. I suggest you try it and see what I mean. I assure you that I fully understand the difference between SVG and PNG, and between vector and raster graphics.

<snip. Sorry. Wasn't feeling particularly generous this morning. If you didn't see it, then pay it no mind!>

Anyway, I'm glad you figured out the source of the bug. Hopefully knowing what was going on will help us to help others more effectively in the future.
Bryan Ray

FuzzeeDee

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:You're misunderstanding me. Fusion is not a vector-aware program. When you import an SVG, what you get is not an SVG linked into the project, it's that collection of masks and Backgrounds. Even though they came from a vector format, once each node hits its own output, they become raster—grids of pixels.

A Resize node works only on pixels, not on vectors, so if you had a 320x240 output from the group of shapes, and you Resize it larger, you won't get the smooth, clean lines you expect. I suggest you try it and see what I mean. I assure you that I fully understand the difference between SVG and PNG, and between vector and raster graphics.

I never tried using the resize for this, I was just getting desperate to find an answer. I was not aware that resize was only for Raster graphics though, so thank you for that info. I was fully aware of what SVG files get converted into. The issue is, it is not saving the size information of the background nodes if I save and exit from inside Fusion, if I save from the edit tab then it is all good. I don't know how long this bug has existed because this is the first time I have saved and exited from inside the fusion tab when working with shape & background node combo's. As an added note, If I select all the nodes and do a "save as" to a settings file it also retains the sizes properly.
-
➤ DVR 18.6.5 Studio

Bryan Ray

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 7:38 pm

I recommend you send the issue directly to Support now that you've tracked down the cause. It's rare for a bug to be addressed based solely on reports made in this forum.

edit much later: I reread this thread and realized where our communication disconnect happened. At one point I typed PNG when I meant SVG. Mea culpa.
Last edited by Bryan Ray on Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Ray

FuzzeeDee

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:I recommend you send the issue directly to Support now that you've tracked down the cause. It's rare for a bug to be addressed based solely on reports made in this forum.

Thanks, will do.
-
➤ DVR 18.6.5 Studio

raphaelgoesm

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 pm